Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hot Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
262 replies · 34K views
Thunderstorms all around, but so far not here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Storms: Mid-Atlantic power outages could last days
http://news.yahoo.com/storms-mid-atlantic-power-outages-could-last-days-091242847.html

The east coast experienced a series of derechos.
That was one of the worst storms I've ever been in. I heard the wind pick up suddenly and quickly checked the weather. We got one quick look at the radar before the power went out. After that, it was 30 minutes of non-stop lightning and extremely heavy rain.
 
Borg said:
That was one of the worst storms I've ever been in. I heard the wind pick up suddenly and quickly checked the weather. We got one quick look at the radar before the power went out. After that, it was 30 minutes of non-stop lightning and extremely heavy rain.
That describes the storm we had 9 days ago, i.e., a week ago from last Friday. It start off as heavy rain, then intense lightning, then high wind, then the power went out. Prior to the storms, the temperature was reaching 100-105F. The day after the storm, the temperatures dropped by 30 F. Last Monday, the early morning temperature was 48 degrees and reach a high in the mid 70s. Within days the temperature was back up to the 90s during the afternoon. The thermometer on the back of the house reached 99 in the shade during the last two days.
 
Not so bad today. Low 80s, with humidity that you can swim through. Duke and I took a walk so he could get his "business" done. I'm sweaty and he is sacked-out on his bed. We normally don't get into such patterns until late July/August, but here we are.
 
How many more of these stupid power outages do we have to endure with long periods of blackouts until power companies learn to bury the power lines?
 
gravenewworld said:
How many more of these stupid power outages do we have to endure with long periods of blackouts until power companies learn to bury the power lines?
Whenever they can get the Earth to insulated enough to bury 345kV transmission lines. :biggrin:
 
gravenewworld said:
How many more of these stupid power outages do we have to endure with long periods of blackouts until power companies learn to bury the power lines?
Germany buries its power lines and has few outages. Population density is one thing going against the U.S. though. BTW, my power lines are buried and we still lost power for 29 hours this weekend.
Want to keep AC on? Bury power lines
 
Excessive Heat Warning from this afternoon through Friday evening.
Highs in the 100s F possible Thursday and Friday, with heat indices reaching 100 each afternoon and as high as 105 to 110 Thursday and Friday.

Wondering what August will be like.
 
I want to mow my lawns, but the humidity is oppressive and it's hard to breathe out there. I'm chilling out with Duke in the AC.
 
turbo said:
Your shingles might melt.

Will that be before or after the lawn and trees burst into flames?
 
Insanity said:
Will that be before or after the lawn and trees burst into flames?
Depends. If you live in CO, they could happen simultaneously.
 
turbo said:
Depends. If you live in CO, they could happen simultaneously.

Even better.
 
Highs here of 16 C (61 F) both yesterday and today. Normal high for this date: 20 C (68 F).
 
George Jones said:
Highs here of 16 C (61 F) both yesterday and today. Normal high for this date: 20 C (68 F).
color me jealous...
 
We are having an electrical storm, the like of which I have never seen before. There is almost continual lightening. More than 100 per minute. I can only see the flashes of light against the clouds, not the bolts themselves. And it's accompanied by a downpour. Also, I can hear the sirens of several vehicles in the distance.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
We are having an electrical storm, the like of which I have never seen before. There is almost continual lightening. More than 100 per minute. I can only see the flashes of light against the clouds, not the bolts themselves. And it's accompanied by a downpour. Also, I can hear the sirens of several vehicles in the distance.
Is there worm-sign? (Dune)
 
turbo said:
Is there worm-sign? (Dune)

Lair of the White Worm.

tumblr_lsyjq1DEQ81qmxegjo1_500.png
 
In my country, we're already in our Rainy season, but geez, we're still experiencing the Sun's burning hotness.OMG XD
 
I can't wait to move to Boston in a month or so. Here in Baltimore, my car themometer just showed 104 degrees F on my way home today. According to my phone's weather app, it's something like 85 in Boston.
 
Second day with 101F temps, fortunately low humidity. Tomorrow is supposed to be 105F+.
 
Last week was hot and stormy throughout Poland.



You can see roof tiles failing.

That was in the northern Poland. Over 300 houses were severely damaged in this single hailstorm.

On Tuesday I called a friend of mine - he lives in the southern Poland. He couldn't talk long as he was supervising insurance agent estimating damage done by the hailstorm to his car.

Two days ago another hailstorm passed here - luckily for us it ended with just a single, small dent on Marzena's car roof.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be a scorcher, I fear. Humidity is very high and the outdoor temp has been increasing by a degree every 5 minutes or so. Very uncomfortable outside. I feel sorry for the people stuck with triple-digit highs.
 
Highs in the 90s today with RH in the 60s at best. We lost our electricity a couple of hours ago due to an old naked pine tree falling in wind-gusts and taking out the lines. We recently got power back, and the AC units are working overtime. The RH in the house is coming back down slowly, but breathing/sleeping might be a problem.

I have an uncle who is an HVAC professional, and I have to see if he can tie a whole-house AC unit into the ductwork of our furnace. Smaller AC units just can't keep up with this heat.
 
I took Duke out on the back deck a few minutes ago to see if we we could tolerate the conditions. I couldn't and he seemed quite happy to get back in the house.
 
heat index was 113F yesterday, so far only 103F today.
Suppose to break tonight, and be in mid 80s next week.
 
It's 106°F here now but the heat index is only 105°F. :bugeye:
 
Today's high was 101. We went and jumped in the lake.