1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summing n-number of Terms to Find the Area of a Polygon

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let C be the line segment connecting the points (x1,y1) and (x2,y2). More over let the line integral over C of (x dy - y dx) = x1y2 - x2y1.

Suppose the vertices of a polygon, listed in counter-clockwise order, are (x1y1), (x2y2), ... , (xnyn). Show that the area of the polygon is

(1/2) * ((x1y2 - x2y1) + (x2y3 - x3y2) + ... + (xny1 - x1yn))

2. Relevant equations

I don't know a relevant equation, but I suspect there probably is one.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, basically, I just want to say something like, let C* be the set of all line segments that connect, with positive orientation, (x1y1), (x2y2), ... , (xnyn). Then using the fact that the line integral over C of (x dy - y dx) = x1y2 - x2y1, and by repeatedly applying this fact, I would have something like:

[itex]\sum[/itex] * = 1 n of ([itex]\int[/itex]C* (x dy - y dx)). I think this gives the desired result except for the 1/2, which still eludes me.

Also, how do you format these sigmas? It's supposed to read "Sigma from *=1 to n"

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^n \int_{C^*} (x~dy - y~dx)[/tex]

The LaTeX looks like this (with the spaces in the tex tags removed):
    [ tex]\sum_{i = 1}^n \int_C^* (x~dy - y~dx)[ /tex]

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3
    Excellent! That's absolutely helpful. Thank you.

I'm thinking about this integral here:

Suppose I had integrated line integral over C of (x dy - y dx) to prove that x1y2 - x2y1. Then the parameterization of the curve is r(t) = <x1 + (x2 - x1)*t, y1 + (y2 - y1)*t>. I can calculate a line integral:

C x dy - y dx = ∫(0≤t≤1) (x1 + (x2 - x1)*t)*(y2 - y1) - (y1 + (y2 - y1)*t)*(x2 - x1) dt.

Calculating gives,

(x1 + (1/2)(x2 - x1))*(y2 - y1) - (y1 + (1/2)(y2 - y1))*(x2 - x1).

This introduces at least some kind of (1/2) into my calculation. Not sure if that helps though, since the 1/2 just cancels.

5. Nov 23, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The area is the integral of (1/2)(xdy-ydx). I think you left the (1/2) out from the very beginning.

6. Nov 23, 2011 #5
  7. Nov 23, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no typo really. It just says the integral along a line segment is x1*y2-y1*x2 and asks you to prove it. It doesn't say that that is the area. I think you were supposed to figure out that you should put the (1/2) in. Did they tell you someplace else in the book that dA=(1/2)(xdy-ydx)?

8. Nov 23, 2011 #7
    Indeed they did! Guess I should probably start reading the book, huh?

9. Nov 23, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BTW the easiest proof I know is that the cross product of the three dimensional vectors (x,y,0) and (x+dx,y+dy,0) gives you the area of the parallelogram generated by (x,y,0) and (x+dx,y+dy,0) and the origin. That's xdy-ydx. The area of the triangle from the origin is (1/2) of that. That's dA. I'm sure there is a way to do it without introducing the third dimension, but that's the way I think about it.

10. Nov 23, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You took the words out my mouth. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook