Sums and Intersections of Submodules .... Berrick and Keating Exercise 1.2.12

In summary, the conversation is about Exercise 1.2.12 from the book "An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View" by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating. The person is seeking help for the problem and someone explains that they need to show two properties. The first property is that if N' is a submodule of M and M_i is a subset of N' for all i in I, then N is also a submodule of N'. The second property is that if L' is a submodule of M and L' is a subset of M_i for all i in I, then L' is also a submodule of L. The person also provides a hint for proving the first property
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

I need help with Exercise 1.2.12 ...

Exercise 1.2.12 reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5102
Can someone please help me to get started on this problem ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show two things:

1) If $N'$ is a submodule of $M$ such that $M_i \subseteq N'$ for all $i \in I$, that $N \subseteq N'$.

2) If $L'$ is a submodule of $M$ such that $L' \subseteq M_i$ for all $i \in I$, that $L' \subseteq L$.

The second property is well-nigh obvious, if $L' \subseteq M_i$ for each $i$, it is surely in $\bigcap\limits_i M_i$, by the definition of intersection.

Of course, it may help to prove that $\bigcap\limits_i M_i$ is indeed a submodule of $M$.

Number 1) is a little trickier, you may wish to show instead that $N$ is the smallest submodule of $M$ containing the set:

$\bigcup\limits_i M_i$ hint: use the closure of module addition.

1. What are submodules?

A submodule is a subset of a module that is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, it is a subset that is itself a module.

2. What is the sum of submodules?

The sum of two submodules M and N is the set of all elements that can be written as the sum of an element in M and an element in N. It is denoted as M + N.

3. How is the intersection of submodules defined?

The intersection of two submodules M and N is the set of all elements that are in both M and N. It is denoted as M ∩ N.

4. What is the importance of studying sums and intersections of submodules?

Studying sums and intersections of submodules is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of modules. It also allows us to make connections between different submodules and their relationships.

5. Can you provide an example of a sum and intersection of submodules?

Let M = {0, 2, 4, 6, 8} be a submodule of the module Z10, and N = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4} be a submodule of Z10. The sum of M and N is M + N = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8}, and the intersection of M and N is M ∩ N = {0, 2, 4}.