How Much Has Atmospheric Pollution Reduced Sunlight Reaching the Earth?

In summary, atmospheric pollution has significantly reduced the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface. This is due to the presence of pollutants such as carbon dioxide, aerosols, and other greenhouse gases, which trap heat and create a layer of haze that blocks out sunlight. Studies have shown that in some areas, pollution has reduced sunlight by up to 10%, resulting in changes to weather patterns and negatively impacting plant growth. Efforts to reduce pollution are crucial in order to mitigate the effects of this decrease in sunlight and protect the health of our planet.
Howlin
I don't no if this is the right place to ask this question or not

I want to know that over the past number of years, how much less sunlight is reaching the ground because of the fine particles that we are placing into the atmosphere?
Over the past 5, 10 15 or even 50 years, how much sunlight is reaching the ground compared to the present?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Howlin said:

I want to know that over the past number of years, how much less sunlight is reaching the ground because of the fine particles that we are placing into the atmosphere?
Over the past 5, 10 15 or even 50 years, how much sunlight is reaching the ground compared to the present?

The keyword to help you in your searching is "insolation". The wikipedia article is a reasonable introduction, and has some historical data (although it appears to be for the top of the atmosphere, which won't answer your question). There look to be some good references and links at the bottom of the article that may help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insolation

This might be what you are looking for.

http://oceanandair.coas.oregonstate.edu/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageID=86

Last edited by a moderator:
Howlin said:

We only have approximate answers to your question because measurements at the outside of the Earth's atmosphere are relatively short-term (less than thirty years) and measurements at the surface have been made only at a relatively few locations that do not systematically cover the Earth's surface.

Fine particulates can both reflect and absorb sunlight. However, most atmospheric scientists believe that their major significance of such particulates is as cloud condensation nuclei. Such nuclei can increase both cloud cover and cloud density.

There is recent evidence that society's desire to clean up factory emissions has resulted in decreased overall cloud cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howlin said:

Fine particles also are produced naturally from volcanoes, forestfires and dust storms and that can vary from year to year, decade to decade, Sorting out man-made from natural is at most difficult.

Dotini said:
To the list of fine particles, may it be allowed to include muons?
http://cosmic.lbl.gov/SKliewer/Cosmic_Rays/Muons.htm

Respectfully submitted,
Steve
Are you making a case that they have a significant effect on sunlight reaching the earth? Do you have any kind of study on this? That might be your answer.

Evo said:
Are you making a case that they have a significant effect on sunlight reaching the earth? Do you have any kind of study on this? That might be your answer.

Dear Evo,

Thank you for your questions and suggestion.

Firstly and most importantly, I would like to emphasize that I am not making a case of any kind regarding sunlight reaching earth, as it is (a) beyond my ability and station to do so, and (b) treads too near certain proscribed topics which might tend to put undesirable workload on Mentors.

As tactfully as possible, and without comment, I would like to draw the attention of our readers to a pilot experiment of a few years ago: http://www.atmos-chem-phys.org/10/1635/2010/acp-10-1635-2010.html

According to rumblings in the science press, this experiment has very recently reached a conclusion which await release and publication. I have no idea of the results.

Please feel free to delete this post if it's in the best interests of PF to do so. It's no big deal to me, as I'll be kart racing at Spokane for the next couple of days!

Respectfully yours,
Steve

1. How does sunlight reach the Earth?

Sunlight reaches the Earth through a process called radiation. The sun emits energy in the form of electromagnetic waves, including visible light. These waves travel through space and reach the Earth's atmosphere, where they are absorbed, scattered, or reflected.

2. What factors affect the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth?

The amount of sunlight reaching the Earth is affected by a number of factors, including the Earth's tilt, its distance from the sun, and the Earth's atmosphere. The tilt of the Earth's axis causes varying amounts of sunlight to reach different parts of the globe throughout the year. The Earth's distance from the sun also affects the amount of sunlight, as the Earth is closest to the sun during the winter in the northern hemisphere. The Earth's atmosphere also plays a role in filtering and absorbing sunlight.

3. How does the Earth's atmosphere affect the sunlight reaching the Earth?

The Earth's atmosphere plays a crucial role in regulating the amount of sunlight that reaches the Earth's surface. The Earth's atmosphere contains gases that can absorb or scatter sunlight, such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, and ozone. These gases can also reflect some sunlight back into space. Additionally, the Earth's atmosphere filters out harmful UV rays from the sun, protecting living organisms on Earth.

4. What is the importance of sunlight reaching the Earth?

Sunlight is essential for life on Earth. Plants use sunlight to make food through photosynthesis, which is the foundation of the food chain. Sunlight also helps regulate the Earth's temperature, influences weather patterns, and provides us with vitamin D. Without sunlight, life on Earth would not be possible.

5. How does human activity affect the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth?

Human activities such as deforestation, urbanization, and pollution can affect the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface. Deforestation can decrease the amount of sunlight absorbed by the Earth's surface, leading to changes in temperature and weather patterns. Urbanization can also impact the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface by increasing the amount of artificial surfaces that reflect light. Pollution, such as smog, can block sunlight from reaching the Earth's surface and have negative effects on air quality and human health.