What Equations are Required for Evaluating Resistance in Electromagnetic Propulsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnetic propulsion for a sphere in a tunnel with specific dimensions. The person is looking for equations to calculate the resistance of the electromagnetic field and determine the necessary type and charge of the electromagnet to maintain levitation and propulsion while also preventing the sphere from touching the tunnel's outer edge. They also mention the potential use of a visual aid to better understand the mathematics involved.
golith
Hi gang,
Here is an easy one but nevertheless requires formula to express your postion.

in terms of magnetic propulsion;

I am building a tunnel with r=5cm and a sphere inserted will be approx 8cm diameter which will be propelled via electro magnetic propulsion. I'm now about to evaluate the effectivness of materials and magnets to facilitate acceleration to 16 m/s.
My question here is what equations are required to know the resistance of the elctromagnetic field. I.E if velocity is 10m/s and its radius is 5m with a sphere mas of 300Kg approx then what type and charge is required for the electromagnet to both maintain levitation and also another for propulsion but most important is to resist the sphere from tounching the outeredge as it will want to do. Or where can i get further information to allow a clearer understanding of the mathematics required.
Sorry if confusing
Golith

Physics news on Phys.org
A picture will be useful. You can draw up a simple figure using Paint (or some such program) and add it as an attachment.

Dear Golith,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. Superconducting magnets, also known as electromagnets, are an excellent choice for magnetic propulsion due to their ability to generate strong magnetic fields. To calculate the resistance of the electromagnetic field, we will need to use the following equation:

R = ρ * L/A

Where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the material, and A is the cross-sectional area. In your case, the length of the tunnel and the cross-sectional area of the magnets will be important factors in determining the resistance of the electromagnetic field.

To maintain levitation, you will need to use a magnet with a strong enough magnetic field to counteract the gravitational force of the sphere. The charge required will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the mass of the sphere. A larger charge will be needed for a heavier sphere. For propulsion, you will need to use a stronger magnetic field to accelerate the sphere to 16 m/s. The type and charge of the electromagnet will depend on the size, shape, and material of the sphere.

I recommend consulting with a physics textbook or a professional in the field to gain a better understanding of the mathematical equations and principles involved in magnetic propulsion. You can also find helpful resources online or at a local library. Best of luck with your project!

1. What are superconducting magnets?

Superconducting magnets are powerful electromagnets made from superconducting materials that have the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance at extremely low temperatures.

2. How are superconducting magnets used?

Superconducting magnets are used in a variety of scientific and industrial applications, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in research for fusion energy and in the development of new technologies.

3. What are the advantages of using superconducting magnets?

The main advantage of superconducting magnets is their ability to produce very strong magnetic fields with relatively low energy consumption. They also have the potential to be more compact and efficient than traditional electromagnets.

4. What are the challenges of using superconducting magnets?

The main challenge of using superconducting magnets is the need for extremely low temperatures, typically below -200°C, for the material to maintain its superconducting properties. This requires specialized equipment and can limit their use in certain applications.

5. What is the current state of research on superconducting magnets?

Research on superconducting magnets is ongoing, with a focus on developing new materials that can maintain superconductivity at higher temperatures and improving their performance and reliability for various applications. There is also ongoing research on the potential use of superconducting magnets in energy storage and transportation systems.

Back