Super quick question about Spongy bone?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between compact bone and spongy bone in bones. It is clarified that the spongy bone is covered by compact bone and can only be seen when the top layer is cut. The person asking the question apologizes for not researching beforehand and expresses gratitude for the help. Another person in the conversation encourages asking questions and developing research skills in the sciences. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of both research and asking questions in the biological field.
sameeralord
http://www.indg.in/health/womenhealth/2.jpg

Illu_long_bone.jpg

http://www.e-radiography.net/articles/ossification/ossification_files/image007.jpg

Is the spongy bone covered by compact bone? I mean is it only when you cut the top bit(compact bone) you can see the spongy bone?

I know the pics are self explanatory but just like to clarify. I hope you don't mind. Thanks :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes it is. Compact bone tissue forms the external layer of all bones . Sorry guys I take responsiblity for not doing research before hand. I actually did but only now did I find it.

sameeralord said:
Yes it is. Compact bone tissue forms the external layer of all bones . Sorry guys I take responsiblity for not doing research before hand. I actually did but only now did I find it.

Hey, it's cool that you ask questions especially difficult to research ones. People here are more than glad to help you out in your biological endeavours :-p. Sometimes people, like myself though, don't like it when it seems like the person asking the questions doesn't make a conscious effort to find the information themselves. It's a really important skill to pick up when your in the sciences... so is not being afraid to ask questions though.

So this shows to me that you are developing both of those skills, no need to apologize.

zomgwtf said:
Hey, it's cool that you ask questions especially difficult to research ones. People here are more than glad to help you out in your biological endeavours :-p. Sometimes people, like myself though, don't like it when it seems like the person asking the questions doesn't make a conscious effort to find the information themselves. It's a really important skill to pick up when your in the sciences... so is not being afraid to ask questions though.

So this shows to me that you are developing both of those skills, no need to apologize.

Thanks Zom :smile: It is really nice of you to say something like this. :smile:

Yes, the spongy bone is covered by compact bone. In fact, compact bone makes up the outer layer of all bones, while spongy bone is found in the inner layer. When you cut through the compact bone, you will be able to see the spongy bone underneath. Spongy bone is made up of small, interconnected trabeculae that provide structural support and help with bone marrow production. The compact bone, on the other hand, is denser and provides strength and protection to the bone. Both types of bone work together to support the body and carry out important functions such as movement, protection of vital organs, and production of blood cells. I hope this clarifies your question.

FAQ: Super quick question about Spongy bone?

1. What is spongy bone?

Spongy bone, also known as cancellous or trabecular bone, is a type of bone tissue found inside the outer layer of compact bone. It has a porous and lattice-like structure, with small spaces filled with bone marrow.

2. What is the function of spongy bone?

Spongy bone serves as a supportive and protective tissue, providing strength and structure to bones. It also plays a role in the production of red and white blood cells in the bone marrow.

3. How is spongy bone different from compact bone?

Spongy bone is less dense and has a more open structure compared to compact bone. It also contains more bone marrow and less mineralized matrix, making it lighter and more flexible.

4. What are the health implications of spongy bone?

Problems with spongy bone can lead to conditions such as osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. These conditions can weaken the bone and increase the risk of fractures and joint pain.

5. How can spongy bone be strengthened?

Regular weight-bearing exercise, a healthy diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, and avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can help strengthen spongy bone. In some cases, medication or supplements may also be prescribed by a doctor.