Superconductivity for light beams?

Not sure I follow. A stream of electrons exactly constitutes a current, why would this be disqualified?
I made a mistake. Yes, you are right. But what I want is controllable current which can transmit information, just like telephone or fiber optics. I have no idea if a stream of electrons in vacuum can do this.

berkeman
Mentor
I made a mistake. Yes, you are right. But what I want is controllable current which can transmit information, just like telephone or fiber optics. I have no idea if a stream of electrons in vacuum can do this.
They can, over a short range.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I made a mistake. Yes, you are right. But what I want is controllable current which can transmit information
You can always turn the floodgates on and off on a dam and monitor water levels downstream.

Nugatory
Mentor
I'm a bit surprised to not see the obvious answer here: the most lossless medium for current and radiation is ... space vacuum.
Fixed it for you.

Do you mean "space" or "vacuum"? "Space" isn't a medium. A volume of space may contain a medium, or more than one medium.

Zz.
As I recall, someone on this forum said that light doesn't require a medium. I argued, and put forth a "theory" of how vacuum was a medium. My post was deleted by an "official" of this forum.
Something no one mentioned is that non-focused light dissipates as the square of the distance, even if there is no loss from the medium.

berkeman
Mentor
As I recall, someone on this forum said that light doesn't require a medium. I argued, and put forth a "theory" of how vacuum was a medium. My post was deleted by an "official" of this forum.
Sounds appropriate. Personal speculation is not allowed here. If you had a problem with the Moderation, per the PF Rules you should contact the Mentor involved. [/off-topic]

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
As I recall, someone on this forum said that light doesn't require a medium. I argued, and put forth a "theory" of how vacuum was a medium.
I'm not impressed. "theories" like that are a dime a dozen on the 'net. Publish it, then you can boast about it on here. Otherwise, join the queue.

Something no one mentioned is that non-focused light dissipates as the square of the distance, even if there is no loss from the medium.
What does this have anything to do with a "medium"? It is simply a geometric effect due to 3D space. An electrostatic field from a point source has the same 1/r2 dependence. Has nothing to do with space being a medium or not.

Zz.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I'm a bit surprised to not see the obvious answer here: the most lossless medium for current and radiation is ... space.
No, space is not a good conductor of electric current at all.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
No, space is not a good conductor of electric current at all.
that's correct, but it doesn't stop a stream of electrons flowing ( controlled or otherwise) between two points in a vacuum :smile:

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
that's correct, but it doesn't stop a stream of electrons flowing ( controlled or otherwise) between two points in a vacuum :smile:
But is that current? Can it do work? (particularly sustained work?)

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
But is that current? Can it do work? (particularly sustained work?)
yes it's current ... how do you think an tube works ?

Electron-Tube-EL34-B-6V6GT-6146B-6L6GT-6146-EL34-B-.jpg

or the older TV picture tube ?

monito6.jpg

There is a current flowing from the cathode to anode across the vacuum :smile:

Dave

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
AAAGGG. Tubes. I hate tubes. Bah humbug.

Likes davenn
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
AAAGGG. Tubes. I hate tubes. Bah humbug.
They were wonderful things for keeping the radio shack warm on cold winter nights :smile:

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
They were wonderful things for keeping the radio shack warm on cold winter nights :smile:
Yes, and they were TERRIFIC in Mcintosh amps and preamps but I still hate them. It's a long story.

Likes davenn
DrDu
Science Advisor
While superconductivity requires charged particles, in some special media, light can behave as a superfluid, i.e. propagate without losses. I think we had an article in the news section just some days ago:
https://phys.org/news/2017-06-stream-superfluid.html