Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superluminal propagation of fields

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    I am reading about the Velo-Zwanziger problem in which particles with spin higher than 1 propagates faster than light when the particles are coupled with an electromagnetic field.

In the original paper: G. Velo and D. Zwanziger, “Propagation And Quantization Of Rarita-Schwinger Waves In An External Electromagnetic Potential,” Phys. Rev. 186, 1337 (1969) the authors, to study the causal properties of the equation of motion for spin 3/2 particles coupled with electromagnetic field, use the "method of characteristic determinant" in which they replaces i∂μ with nμ , the normal to the characteristic hypersurfaces, in the highest-derivative terms of the equation of motion.

According to them the determinant ∆(n) of the resulting coefficient matrix determines the causal properties of the system: if the algebraic equation ∆(n) = 0 has real solutions for n0 for any ⃗n, the system is hyperbolic, with maximum wave speed n0/|⃗n|. On the other hand, if there are time-like solutions nμ for ∆(n) = 0, the system admits faster-than-light propagation.

My doubt about this is that I don't understand why can be faster-than-light propagation in the second case. If a partial differential equation is not hyperbolic does that meas that there can be faster-than-light propagation of waves?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sort of. See the third paragraph at the top of this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_partial_differential_equation

It contrasts hyperbolic PDEs with elliptic and parabolic PDEs; the first of these has a "limiting velocity" of propagation of disturbances, the others don't. But this "propagation of disturbances" may or may not correspond to "faster-than-light propagation of waves"; it depends on the specific PDE and what it's being used to describe.

I don't have access to the paper you refer to, so I can't say how the PDEs are classified there; but the general comment about PDEs in the Wikipedia page is valid.

4. Mar 20, 2015 #3
    ok, thank you for respond.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook