1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Superluminal speeds -- Princeton study year 2000

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    I read an article with this with great interest but also puzzlement. It talked about sending a pulse of light through a section of laser excited Caesium atoms (6cm I think) if travelling at vacuum speeds the pulse should have taken 0.2ns but actually arrived 62ns before it would have done travelling in a vacuum so in a sense travelling at -300x the speed of light in a vacuum or leaving the gas cell before it arrived??? This completely baffles me!
    It also went on to say about the difference between group and phase velocities and that in a vacuum these are the same but in a dispersive medium not, it did try and explain group and phase velocity by talking about ripples on a pond and that phase velocity is like observing an individual ripple racing along whereas group velocity is like other ripples as a whole moving at what seems a slower speed. I didn't get this analogy as if wavelength stays the same then surely all the ripples individually or as a group are all moving at the same speed.
    Any learned insight please on any of this greatly appreciated
    Glenn.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted