1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of eigen

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1
    I know this question isn't supposed to be hard but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

If a certain wavefunction is made by superposition of three eigenfunctions of the momentum operator (F1, F2, and F3): wavefunction=0.465F1+0.357F2+0.810F3. The eigenvalues of those eigenfunctions are f1=+0.10, f2=-0.47, and f3=+0.35. What is the probability of a single measurement giving a momentum of +0.10? What is the probability of a single measurement giving a momentum of -0.20? and What is the expectation value of the momentum of the particle?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apply the 3-rd principle and the definition of expectation value.

Daniel.

4. Mar 9, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The probability of a getting a particular eigenvalue when making a measurement is proportional to the (complex) square of the coefficient for that eigenfunction in the wavefunction:
    [tex]\Psi = C_1 F_1 + C_2 F_2 + C_3 F_3[/tex]
    Assuming the wavefunction is normalized (as is the one in this example), then the probability of obtaining a value of f1 is [itex]{C_1}^*C_1[/itex].
    The only possible values for a measurement are the eigenvalues associated with eigenfunctions that appear in the wavefunction (with non-zero coefficients).
    The expectation value is the weighted average of all possible measurements:
    [tex]<p> = {C_1}^*C_1 f_1 + {C_2}^*C_2 f_2 + {C_3}^*C_3 f_3[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?