Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition principle

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    According to superposition principle the circuit involved must be linear and bilateral right?
    But how comes the theorem is sometimes used in some of electronics problems example the diode circuits of which are unilateral circuits... Can any one please explain me clearly the limitations of this theorem...????

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2
    Well I haven't seen the examples in question, but one should be able to use superposition for a diode problem, once assumptions about the diode states are made.
    For each diode state the diode symbol could correspond to a linear circuit model (perhaps a voltage source, or a voltage source and a resistance in series). For valid sets of diode states, superposition should hold.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3

psparky

Gold Member

I would think superposition would work for any of your circuits with more than one supply.

Follow your V=IR rules, etc....and all should be good.

Regardless of the linearity of your circuit.....

Let's say you have a non linear circuit and you find what you are looking for....say the vars consumed by a capacitor.

Now let's say you add another source to the circuit.

Whatever method you used the first time.....just use again for the second source.

When the other source is a voltage source...short it....when the other source is a current source....open it.

I've often said that V=IR will get you 50% thru school. Well.....superposition will get you through the other 50%...lol.

Superposition is the absolute king of electronics. Embrace it. Love it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook