Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supersonic motion: no backward propagating shock waves

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    There was a recent thread (now closed) where I claimed that a body accelerating beyond the speed of sound emits a shock wave that propagates spherically backward in the rear hemisphere.

I have reviewed literature on fluid dynamics and it is quite clear to me now that I was wrong. There is no backward-propagating shock waves, spherical or otherwise.

It might perhaps be interesting for the participants of the discussion why I had that idea. In fact, in one message I revealed my underlying reasoning, even though I did not expand on that. My chief mistake was in thinking that every point of a supersonic body excites shock waves, which then propagate spherically in all directions. That is not correct. Every point of a body moving in a fluid, super- and subsonically alike generates sonic pressure waves; in some directions, in supersonic motion, these sonic pressure waves interfere and form shock waves, not everywhere and certainly not in the rear.

It is not clear why I thought that pressure waves were always shock waves in supersonic motion. That seems very strange to me in retrospect. Either way I am happy that I have got rid of that misconception and I thank everyone who participated in the thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad to hear that voko. Maybe the mods can merge this thread into the old closed one.

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened. This is an allowed continutaion of the previous (now locked) thread.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook