1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supersonic motion: no backward propagating shock waves

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    There was a recent thread (now closed) where I claimed that a body accelerating beyond the speed of sound emits a shock wave that propagates spherically backward in the rear hemisphere.

I have reviewed literature on fluid dynamics and it is quite clear to me now that I was wrong. There is no backward-propagating shock waves, spherical or otherwise.

It might perhaps be interesting for the participants of the discussion why I had that idea. In fact, in one message I revealed my underlying reasoning, even though I did not expand on that. My chief mistake was in thinking that every point of a supersonic body excites shock waves, which then propagate spherically in all directions. That is not correct. Every point of a body moving in a fluid, super- and subsonically alike generates sonic pressure waves; in some directions, in supersonic motion, these sonic pressure waves interfere and form shock waves, not everywhere and certainly not in the rear.

It is not clear why I thought that pressure waves were always shock waves in supersonic motion. That seems very strange to me in retrospect. Either way I am happy that I have got rid of that misconception and I thank everyone who participated in the thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor

Glad to hear that voko. Maybe the mods can merge this thread into the old closed one.

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened. This is an allowed continutaion of the previous (now locked) thread.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook