1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supplementary books for undergraduate physics

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    Hi guys.
    I have reached 5.th semester of my bachelors degree and I am not too thrilled with my timetable. I already glimpsed into some solid-state physics introductions and find it beyond boring.
    Advanced quantum theory will be ok I guess.
    What I am looking for are either books that will help to get a better understanding of the basics
    I already know of
    A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations
    and
    Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
    -Is there something similar for tensor algebra too?

or sth that can arouse interest in physics in generel.

Do you know of any fun, unusual, niche physic textbooks?

Thank you very much for your help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    Well, if nobody else will ask, I will: why are you majoring in physics if you find it so boring? If you think it's boring when you are still in the stage where you are learning something new every day, how boring will it be when you are working full time on a single problem day in and day out? Do you really want to spend your life like that?

Anybody smart enough to get as far as you have in a physics curriculum can find the answer to your OP with ten minutes of searching this site, or with Google. The answer to your implied question is, change majors before it's too late to do so.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    I am not quite sure what changing majors is suppossed to mean.
    I am not studying in the US but in Germany. And here you have to apply for your subject in the undergraduate( bachelor) degree. Changing your subject doesnt really happen.
    I just said that solid state physics appears quite boring to me and I am wondering if someone could recommend some "fun physics" or basics which could help to broaden my basic knowledge. I dont think that physics is too boring for me in general only that that semester seems quite dry.
    Does that make sense?

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
    Well then, the standard answer for students who want supplemental reading is "Feynman's Lectures on Physics." Everything else is a matter of taste; you might search Amazon.com for a subject you want to read about, and read the customer reviews to find one that seems to suit you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook