Is Purcell's E&M Book Recommended for Studying Physics with Calc 3?

In summary, Jason plans to take a multi variable calculus course next semester in preparation for a brick and mortar Canadian university in fall of 2018. He does not recommend acquiring Purcell's E&M book to use alongside his physics course, instead choosing a different book. He also recommends Landau, Lifshitz, and the Feynman Lectures.
CrunchBerries
I have already taken the following online courses:
- Physics 1 (calc based, mechanics)
- Linear Algebra
- Calculus 1
- Calculus 2
- Electronics technician by trade

Next semester I will be taking multi variable calculus, in preparation for a brick and mortar Canadian university for fall of 2018.

I used the resnick/halliday/walker book for my first physics course and I wasn't a fan of all the messy examples and problems, too many colors and fancy pictures, not enough substance IMO.

Based on my current knowledge, would you recommend that I acquire Purcell's E&M book to use for physics studying alongside my calc 3 course? If so, which version?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would maybe go over Mechanics again at the level of Kleppner and Kolenkow. The problems in Purcell are more difficult than those in KK. There is a nice electromag book by Kipp. Kipp is at a lower level than Purcell, but higher than HRW.

Likes poseidon721, CrunchBerries and Universeer
For electromagnetism, what about "Introduction to Electromagnetism" by D. J. Griffiths?

Also check out the answers to this question.

Likes CrunchBerries and Delta2
I think Purcell would be too much to follow until after you have have learned multivariable and vector calculus. To be honest, I would suggest first learning electromagnetism from Halliday&Resnick or some similar book instead of from Purcell. My first course in electromagnetism was based on Purcell and it was brutal - even with a helpful professor and excellent TA it was very painful. Purcell is a fun book after you already understand the material. Good luck,

Jason

Likes CrunchBerries and Wrichik Basu
jasonRF said:
I think Purcell would be too much to follow until after you have have learned multivariable and vector calculus.
My own experience was totally different. Purcell was the book from which I learned vector calculus (before that I knew nothing about it), and I loved it for that.

Likes poseidon721, CrunchBerries and TSny
My recommendation is to avoid this book since I don't know a single book about E&M that's more confusing the reader in its attempt to be pedagogical. Only because an author is a Nobel Laureate it's not a guarantee for good teaching! For a similar approach but much more fun to read, see Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. For classical 3D Euclidean vector calculus see the excellent introductory chapter of Abraham, Becker, The classical theory of electricity and magnetism or Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics, vol. 2 (hydrodynamics).

For the utmost efficient treatment of the relativistic covariant approach (but maybe a bit hard as a first book on E&M) see Landau, Lifshitz vol. 2 (Classical Field Theory). For the traditional approach as an intro textbook take the Feynman Lectures, vol. 2 or Griffiths.

Likes CrunchBerries
Thank you guys, I appreciate the input!

1. What is the Purcell E&M recommendation?

The Purcell E&M recommendation is a set of guidelines proposed by physicist Edward Purcell in his book "Electricity and Magnetism" to help scientists and engineers determine the appropriate units for electromagnetic quantities in their calculations and experiments.

2. Why is the Purcell E&M recommendation important?

The Purcell E&M recommendation is important because it promotes consistency and accuracy in the use of units for electromagnetic quantities, which is crucial in the field of physics. It also helps avoid confusion and errors in calculations and experimental results.

3. What are the main principles of the Purcell E&M recommendation?

The main principles of the Purcell E&M recommendation are:

• Using the MKS (meter-kilogram-second) system of units
  • Expressing all electromagnetic quantities in terms of base units (meter, kilogram, second, ampere)
  • Avoiding the use of conversion factors and constants in equations
  • Using the SI prefixes for multiples and submultiples of units
  • Using a consistent set of symbols for quantities

4. How does the Purcell E&M recommendation differ from other unit systems?

The Purcell E&M recommendation differs from other unit systems in that it is specifically designed for electromagnetic quantities and is based on the MKS system, while other unit systems may use different base units and may not have specific guidelines for electromagnetic quantities.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Purcell E&M recommendation?

There are a few exceptions to the Purcell E&M recommendation, such as in certain specialized fields where different unit systems may be used or when dealing with historical data. However, in general, the Purcell E&M recommendation is widely accepted and used in the field of physics.