Supply 460v single phase instead of 230v to induction machin

In summary, increasing the voltage input to your machine (is it some kind of electric motor?), above what it rated for, will result in it drawing more current.More current means that it will try to spin faster = more torque.However there is a good chance that some coil will just burn up because it's not designed for that.Why the caps?, it won't make any difference to the result.
srinaath
I am planning to run 230V single phase machine with 460V single phase supply. what will be the effects in RPM and torque? (( this is how i thought: as we increase voltage , current will decrease since power is same...decrease in current decreases the torque...to maintain same power, decrease in torque is counteracted by increase in speed...SO MY CONCLUSION IS THAT IF I INCREASE VOLTAGE MY SPEED WILL INCREASE AND TORQUE WILL DECREASE...IS THAT RIGHT? WHAT PERCENTAGE THE SPEED WILL INCREASE AND TORQUE WILL DECREASE?))
AND MY CONSTRAINT IS THAT I HAVE TO MAINTAIN SAME RPM! WHAT CHANGES SHOULD I NEED SO THAT 460V AND 230V PRODUCES SAME PERFORMANCE!

I will be very thankful for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you increase the voltage input to your machine (is it some kind of electric motor?), above what it rated for, that will result in it drawing more current.
More current means that it will try to spin faster = more torque.
However there is a good chance that some coil will just burn up because it's not designed for that.
Why the caps?, it won't make any difference to the result.

rootone said:
If you increase the voltage input to your machine (is it some kind of electric motor?), above what it rated for, that will result in it drawing more current.
More current means that it will try to spin faster = more torque.
However there is a good chance that some coil will just burn up because it's not designed for that.
Why the caps?, it won't make any difference to the result.
correct me if i am wrong.. assume that motor is under no load, motor will draw current only when we apply load (though it consume some current as it is required to produce magnetic filed)..now my aim is to achieve same performance with 460v as that of 230v supply (both single phase)...what will there effects on torque and speed?? (according to me torque will decrease and speed will increase)...and what are the changes should i need to make in 230v supply motor so that same torque and speed is achieved?

No. Your reasoning about what increases and decreases is not even close to correct. Read the Wikipedia article about induction motors to learn about RPM versus torque.

Srinagar is right, something will burn up and the motor may start a fire,

Connecting a machine rated for 230V operation to a 460V supply is reckless and dangerous. It could start a fire or lead to death or injury by a variety other means.

Where I live you could be sent to prison for doing that, if it hurt or killed someone.

Also, induction motors run at (or below) a fixed speed determined by the frequency of the supply, called the synchronous speed. Increasing the supply voltage won’t increase the speed but will hugely increase power dissipation.

1. What is the difference between 460v and 230v?

Voltage is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points. 460v refers to 460 volts and 230v refers to 230 volts. This means that 460v has a higher electrical potential difference compared to 230v.

2. Why would someone want to supply 460v instead of 230v to an induction machine?

The reason for supplying 460v instead of 230v to an induction machine is to increase the power and efficiency of the machine. Induction machines are designed to operate at a specific voltage, and supplying a higher voltage can result in better performance and higher output.

3. What are the potential risks of supplying 460v to an induction machine?

Supplying a higher voltage than the machine is designed for can potentially damage the machine or cause it to overheat. It is important to check the specifications of the machine and ensure that it is capable of operating at 460v before making any changes.

4. Can any induction machine handle 460v?

No, not all induction machines are designed to operate at 460v. It is important to check the machine's specifications and make sure it is capable of handling the higher voltage before making any changes. Using a machine that is not designed for 460v can be dangerous and cause damage to the machine.

5. Is it possible to convert a machine to accept 460v if it is only designed for 230v?

Yes, it is possible to convert a machine to accept 460v, but it is not recommended unless it is done by a professional. The conversion process can be complex and may require rewiring or replacing certain components. It is important to consult with an expert to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the machine after the conversion.