Supremum Property (AoC) .... etc .... Another question/Issue ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem in Sohrab's book on Basic Real Analysis and focuses on the Supremum Property, the Archimedean Property, and the Nested Intervals Theorem. The poster is seeking help in understanding the logic of the proof, specifically the argument that either $k_{n+1}=2k_n$ or $k_{n+1}=2k-1$ and why $I_{n+1}$ is a proper subset of $I_n$. Another member explains that the proof involves dividing the real line into smaller subintervals and locating the interval in which $\sup(S)$ must lie. They also provide a detailed explanation of the logic behind the argument.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with another issue/problem with Theorem 2.1.45 concerning the Supremum Property (AoC), the Archimedean Property, and the Nested Intervals Theorem ... ...

Theorem 2.1.45 reads as follows:View attachment 7171
View attachment 7172In the above proof by Sohrab, we read the following:

" ... ... Thus while (by definition) \(\displaystyle s + \frac{k_n}{2^n} = s + \frac{2 k_n}{ 2^{n + 1} }\) is an upper bound of \(\displaystyle S, s + \frac{ 2 k_n - 2 }{ 2^{n + 1} } = s + \frac{k_n - 1 }{2^n}\) is not. Therefore, either \(\displaystyle k_{ n+1 } = 2k_n\) or \(\displaystyle k_{ n+1 } = 2k - 1\) and \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } \subset I_n\) follow. ... ... "I am uncertain and somewhat confused by the logic of the above ...

I am not sure of the argument that either \(\displaystyle k_{ n+1 } = 2k_n\) or \(\displaystyle k_{ n+1 } = 2k - 1\) ... can someone please explain in simple terms why it is valid ... ..

I am also not sure exactly why \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } \subset I_n\) ... if anything it seems that \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } = I_n\) ... again, can someone please explain in simple terms why \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } \subset I_n\) ... that is that \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 }\) is a proper subset of \(\displaystyle I_n\) ...[ ***EDIT*** Just checked and found that Sohrab is using \(\displaystyle \subset\) in the sense which includes equality ... so using \(\displaystyle \subset\) as meaning \(\displaystyle \subseteq\) ... ]
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
==========================================================================================The above theorem concerns the Supremum Property, the Archimedean Property and the Nested Intervals Theorem ... so to give readers the context and notation regarding the above post I am posting the basic information on these properties/theorems ...
View attachment 7173

View attachment 7174

View attachment 7175

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am not sure of the argument that either \(\displaystyle k_{ n+1 } = 2k_n\) or \(\displaystyle k_{ n+1 } = 2k - 1\) ... can someone please explain in simple terms why it is valid ... ..

I am also not sure exactly why \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } \subset I_n\) ... if anything it seems that \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } = I_n\) ... again, can someone please explain in simple terms why \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 } \subset I_n\) ... that is that \(\displaystyle I_{ n + 1 }\) is a proper subset of \(\displaystyle I_n\) ...
See my comment on your http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/supremum-property-aoc-archimedean-property-nested-intervals-theorem-22069.html#post99642. The way this proof works in that you divide the real line into subintervals of length $1/2^n$ and you locate the subinterval $I_n$ in which $\sup(S)$ (if it exists) must lie. You then increase $n$ to $n+1$, so that you are looking at intervals of half the previous length.

You know that the upper end of $I_n$, namely $s+ \frac{k_n}{2^n} = s + \frac{2k_n}{2^{n+1}}$, is an upper bound for $S$, but that the lower end of $I_n$, namely $s+ \frac{k_n-1}{2^n} = s + \frac{2k_n-2}{2^{n+1}}$, is not an upper bound for $S$.

Now look at the midpoint of $I_n$, namely $s+ \frac{2k_n-1}{2^{n+1}}$. Either that is an upper bound for $S$ or it is not. If it is, then we can take the lower half of $I_n$ to be $I_{n+1}$. If it is not, then we can take the upper half of $I_n$ to be $I_{n+1}$.

Opalg said:
See my comment on your http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/supremum-property-aoc-archimedean-property-nested-intervals-theorem-22069.html#post99642. The way this proof works in that you divide the real line into subintervals of length $1/2^n$ and you locate the subinterval $I_n$ in which $\sup(S)$ (if it exists) must lie. You then increase $n$ to $n+1$, so that you are looking at intervals of half the previous length.

You know that the upper end of $I_n$, namely $s+ \frac{k_n}{2^n} = s + \frac{2k_n}{2^{n+1}}$, is an upper bound for $S$, but that the lower end of $I_n$, namely $s+ \frac{k_n-1}{2^n} = s + \frac{2k_n-2}{2^{n+1}}$, is not an upper bound for $S$.

Now look at the midpoint of $I_n$, namely $s+ \frac{2k_n-1}{2^{n+1}}$. Either that is an upper bound for $S$ or it is not. If it is, then we can take the lower half of $I_n$ to be $I_{n+1}$. If it is not, then we can take the upper half of $I_n$ to be $I_{n+1}$.
Thanks Opalg ... indeed, thanks to you I am beginning to really understand the proof ...

Most grateful ...

Peter

1. What is the Supremum Property in mathematics?

The Supremum Property, also known as the Axiom of Completeness, is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that any non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound, also known as the supremum. This property is essential in proving the existence of real numbers and the convergence of sequences and series.

2. How does the Supremum Property relate to the Axiom of Choice?

The Supremum Property is a special case of the Axiom of Choice, which is a mathematical principle that states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose a single element from each set. The Supremum Property is a specific instance of this principle, where the choice is made among the set of upper bounds of a given set of real numbers.

3. Can the Supremum Property be extended to other sets besides real numbers?

Yes, the Supremum Property can be extended to other sets, such as complex numbers and vectors. In these cases, the least upper bound is known as the supremum or maximum, respectively. However, the Axiom of Choice is needed to prove the existence of these least upper bounds.

4. What are some applications of the Supremum Property?

The Supremum Property has numerous applications in mathematics, including in the study of real analysis, functional analysis, topology, and measure theory. It is also used in various fields such as economics, physics, and computer science, to name a few.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the Supremum Property?

While the Supremum Property is widely accepted and used in mathematics, it has also sparked debates and controversies, particularly in its relation to the Axiom of Choice. Some mathematicians argue that the Axiom of Choice is necessary for the Supremum Property to hold, while others believe that it is not. This debate is ongoing and has yet to be resolved.