Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supressing dielectric constant of water?

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Hey Everyone. I am doing a project proposal where I am calculating the coupling efficiency between a quantum dot and a wire and I need to enter in values for the dielectric constant of the wire and the surrounding medium. I am working off a paper (doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.76.035420) where he uses the dielectric constant for the surrounding medium to be 2. I would like to do this in water which has a much higher dielectric constant and unfortunately it seems to kill off the really efficient coupling that I was getting. Does anyone know of a way to suppress the dielectric constant and to somehow quantify how low I can get it? I know salt will depress it, but how much would I expect? I read that if I get water at a supercritical phase I can get it pretty low, but does anyone know of any other way? Thanks a lot for your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

The dielectric "constant" of water is very much a function of frequency... presumably if you are interested in quantum dots you'll be using optical frequencies?
    In that case the permittivity of water is actually rather low (about 1.8).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?