Help with Dielectric Constants

In summary: It covers this in detail. Frequency and wavelength are irrelevant when it comes to dielectric constants.
excalibur313
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to find the real and imaginary dielectric constants for TiO2 (rutile) as a function of wavelength. Could anyone suggest a good place to find something like this? Palik has a nice book but it is incomplete, so I'm not sure if there is something newer. Also, could someone help me sort out the difference between those dielectric constants and the single values that you sometimes find. (Like in the CRC) When is it appropriate to use one or the other? Also, I found a cool website that will calculate the ordinary and extraordinary ray- is this related or is it a different concept?
Thanks for your help!

PS- Also, I notice in Palik that they give values of n and k both parallel and perpendicular. For a FDTD calculation for trying to determine coupling with a metal nanoparticle, for example, what is more appropriate to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
What wavelength or frequency range are you interested in?

For simulation you'd need a tensor dielectric constant to capture the ordinary/extraordinary axes. Most FDTD codes aren't set up for this.

I'm interested in the 300-500 nm range. So do you mean that in order to theoretically capture ordinary/extraordinary axes you have to use a tensor dielectric function? Is that required when calculating waveguiding effects? I only mentioned it because when searching for dielectric constants online I cam across this website:
http://www.luxpop.com/
and I was confused why it gave the index of refraction in terms of ordinary/extraordinary axes. I hope that it is just extraneous to this particular problem.

I guess I was just hoping that I could enter in a table like they have for silicon or a metal where it has one n and k, but this seems like it would be more complicated. For what its worth, I would be pointing the plane wave light source right at the crystal so I wonder if that would allow me to only use one set of constants.

I appreciate the fast response!

Do you know what birefringence means?
In a crystal like rutile, which crystallizes in the tetragonal system, the index of refraction for a wave is different for whether it is polarized parallel or perpendicular to the four-fold axis. Hence an arbitrarily polarized ray is split into an ordinary and an extraordinary ray polarized parallel and perpendicular to the axis, respectively, for which also n and k are different. Only for a ray traveling along the optical axis, this splitting does not occur.

Try "the handbook of optical constants."

What is a dielectric constant?

A dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, is a measure of the ability of a material to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is the ratio of the electric flux density in a vacuum to the electric flux density in the material.

Why is the dielectric constant important?

The dielectric constant is important because it determines the strength of the electric field that can be established in a material and how much charge can be stored on its surface. It also affects the capacitance of a material, which is a measure of its ability to store electrical charge.

How is the dielectric constant measured?

The dielectric constant is measured using a device called a capacitance meter. This device measures the capacitance of a material and then calculates the dielectric constant using the known dimensions and properties of the material.

What factors affect the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant of a material is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the frequency of the electric field. It also varies depending on the type of material, as different materials have different structures and properties that affect their ability to store electrical energy.

Can the dielectric constant be changed?

Yes, the dielectric constant of a material can be changed by altering its physical or chemical properties. For example, the addition of impurities or changing the temperature can affect the dielectric constant. In some cases, the dielectric constant can also be changed by applying an external electric field.