1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surds in polar form of imaginary number

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the polar form for zw by first putting z and w into polar form.
    z=2√3-2i, w= -1+i

2. Relevant equations
    Tan-1(-√3/3)= 5∏/6

3. The attempt at a solution
    r= √[(2√3)2+(-2)2]=4
    tanθ= -2/(2√3)=-1/√3=-√3/3=> acording to above... tan-1(-√3/3)= 5∏/6
    so, in polar form z should be 4[cos(5∏/6)+isin(5∏/6)]...
    However, in the markscheme as well as in another source i have (thus me deducing there was no coincidence) they've put 4[cos(-∏/6)+isin(-∏/6)].
    I understand how tan(5∏/6) and tan(-∏/6) both equal(-√3/3)... though that's not the case for when it comes to cos(5∏/6) and cos(-∏/6).
    So i would appreciate it if someone explained to me where i have gone wrong... and i think the question is pretty clear but if you think i haven't explained myself correctly go forth and tell me!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Sketch ##z = 2 \sqrt{3} -2i## in the Argand plane. What quadrant does it lie?

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Tangent is not a "one-to-one" function and so arctangent is not "well-defined". In fact, you calculator should show you that [itex]tan(5\pi/6)= tan(-\pi/6)[/itex]. Which quadrant is [itex](2\sqrt{3}, -2)[/itex] in? Where are [itex]5\pi/6[/itex] and [itex]-\pi/6[/itex]?

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4
    I'm new to imaginary numbers so bare w me here...
    z=2√3−2i in the Argand plane lies in the 4th quadrant...?

5π/6 lies in the 2nd Q. and −π/6 doesn't lie on any Q? π/6 lies in the first quadrant. What's the next step?

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

So if your complex number lies in the 4th quadrant, what is the appropriate argument?

Do you see how the other argument arises?

7. Feb 22, 2013 #6
    hun? im dont understand what you're saying.... If i look at the 4th quadrant of the trigonometric circle then wouldn't it be 11pi/6? which i guess is the reflection of the pi/6 on the x-axis?? as i've told you, im not sure how to work myself around this yet

8. Feb 22, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The trig functions, and so the polar representation of complex numbers, is "modulo [itex]2\pi[/itex]". That is [itex]-\pi/6[/itex] is exactly the same as [itex]2\pi- \pi/6= 11\pi/6[/itex].

9. Feb 22, 2013 #8
    that makes sense. so i would guess that adding 11pi/6 or -pi/6 to something (pheta1 + pheta2) if i were to be multiplying to complex numbers in polar form then i would get the same result?

10. Feb 22, 2013 #9
    4[cos(-∏/6)+isin(-∏/6)]*2[cos(3∏/4)+isin(3∏/4)] = 4[cos(11∏/6)+isin(11∏/6)]*2[cos(3∏/4)+isin(3∏/4)] ?

11. Feb 22, 2013 #10
    could someone confirm this for me? thanks

12. Feb 22, 2013 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, the two angles represent the same point, but generally we choose the argument such that ##arg(z) \in [0,\pi],##or##[0,-\pi]##

This is why the book gives the argument -pi/6 in the solution.

The reason you got 5pi/6, which also satisfies arctan(##-1/\sqrt{3})## is because there we deal with ##z = -2\sqrt{3} + 2i##. So blindly computing arctan(..) without thinking where the complex number lies causes problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook