1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integration in Polar Coordinates

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate by changing to polar coordinates:

## \int_{0}^6 \int_{0}^\sqrt{36-x^2} tan^{-1} \left( \frac y x \right) \, dy \, dx ##

2. Relevant equations
    ## x = r \cos \left( \theta \right) ##
    ## y = r \sin \left( \theta \right) ##

3. The attempt at a solution

So this is a quarter of a circle in the first quadrant of an xy-coordinate system with a radius of 6. So the bounds for the integral in polar coordinates will be r from 0 to 6 and ## \theta ## from 0 to ## \frac{ \pi }{2} ## .

## tan^{-1} \left( \frac y x \right) ## is just ## \theta ## so the integral becomes:

## \int_{0}^6 \int_{0}^ \frac{ \pi }{2} \theta \, d \theta \, dr ##

I worked this out and got ## \frac{3 \pi ^2}{4} ## . I checked it on Wolfram Alpha and got the same result. I plugged the original integral into Wolfram Alpha and got ## \frac{9 \pi ^2}{4} ## so somehow I lost a factor of 3 somewhere. Clearly I integrated properly so I must have made a mistake converting to polar coordinates.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

In your conversion to polar the elemental area in Cartesian is dA = dy*dx

However in polar it should be r*dr*dθ

4. Dec 19, 2016 #3
    You have forgot a factor of ##r##. The area element ##dxdy## should be replaced by ##rdrd\theta##, which is obtained from the Jacobian for the transformation to polar coordinates. I hope this helps.

5. Dec 19, 2016 #4
    Yep, just remembered that right as your replied. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted