Logical Proof: Theorem (Truths of Logic) A iff ~~A

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of setting boundaries in relationships. The speakers emphasized the need for clear communication and mutual respect when setting and enforcing boundaries. They also discussed the potential consequences of not having boundaries, such as feeling overwhelmed and sacrificing personal needs for the sake of others. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of establishing healthy boundaries for maintaining healthy relationships.
VeraMason
Homework Statement
Prove that the following sentences are theorems (Truths of Logic):
A iff ~~A *Do not use Double Negation*
Relevant Equations
NA
My thought was to break up the sentence into its equivalent form: (A ->~~A) & (~~A -> A)
From there I assumed the premise of both sides to use indirect proofs, so:
1. ~(A -> ~~A) AP
2. ~(~A or ~~A) 1 Implication
3. ~~A & ~~~A 2 DeMorgan's
4. A -> ~~A 1-3 Indirect Proof
5. ~(~~A -> A) AP
6. ~(~~~A or A) 5 Implication
7. ~~~~A & ~A 6 DeMorgan's
8. ~~A -> A 5-7 Indirect Proof
9. (A ->~~A) & (~~A -> A) 4,8 Conjunction
10. A iff ~~A 9 EquivalenceTo me, this looks like it would be correct. Obviously, lines 3 and 7 would look a lot cleaner if I was allowed to use double negation, but in my mind, it shouldn't matter since both lines are a contradiction that essentially says: A & ~A.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
VeraMason said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that the following sentences are theorems (Truths of Logic):
A iff ~~A *Do not use Double Negation*
Relevant Equations:: NA

My thought was to break up the sentence into its equivalent form: (A ->~~A) & (~~A -> A)
From there I assumed the premise of both sides to use indirect proofs, so:
1. ~(A -> ~~A) AP
2. ~(~A or ~~A) 1 Implication
3. ~~A & ~~~A 2 DeMorgan's
4. A -> ~~A 1-3 Indirect Proof
5. ~(~~A -> A) AP
6. ~(~~~A or A) 5 Implication
7. ~~~~A & ~A 6 DeMorgan's
8. ~~A -> A 5-7 Indirect Proof
9. (A ->~~A) & (~~A -> A) 4,8 Conjunction
10. A iff ~~A 9 EquivalenceTo me, this looks like it would be correct. Obviously, lines 3 and 7 would look a lot cleaner if I was allowed to use double negation, but in my mind, it shouldn't matter since both lines are a contradiction that essentially says: A & ~A.
Is this correct?
It looks OK to me, but it seems that you could also do this as a direct proof.
Here's for the first part:
##A \Rightarrow \neg \neg A##
##\Leftrightarrow \neg A \vee \neg \neg A## ( implication is equivalent to a disjunction)
##\Leftrightarrow \neg (A \wedge \neg A)## (de Morgan)
##\Leftrightarrow \neg (\text F)## (A and ~A is false)
##\Leftrightarrow \text T## (negation of false is true)

All the steps are reversible, which makes the first implication true.

Likes VeraMason
@VeraMason Since this statement is not true in general, you should also point out, where you are using the law of excluded middle.

1. What is a logical proof?

A logical proof is a process of demonstrating the validity of a statement or argument using the rules and principles of logic. It involves constructing a series of steps that lead to a conclusion based on given premises.

2. What does "Theorem (Truths of Logic) A iff ~~A" mean?

This statement means that A is true if and only if the negation of A is false. In other words, A must be true for ~~A to be true, and vice versa.

3. How is this theorem used in logic?

This theorem is used to show the logical equivalence between a statement and its double negation. It can also be used to prove the validity of arguments and to establish the truth of statements.

4. Can you give an example of how this theorem is applied?

Sure, for example, if we have the statement "It is raining outside," we can say that this is logically equivalent to "It is not the case that it is not raining outside." This is because the double negation of the first statement (~~A) is equivalent to the original statement (A).

5. What is the significance of this theorem in science?

This theorem is significant in science because it allows us to establish the truth or validity of statements and arguments based on logical reasoning. It is a fundamental principle that underlies many scientific theories and experiments, and it helps us to make sound and rational conclusions based on evidence and logical principles.