Surface area of a Hypersphere?

In summary, the conversation revolved around scaling up the surface area of a sphere with a radius of 6 million meters into a hypersphere of similar radius, with a desire to know the ratio. The issue of changing units and dimensions in higher dimensions was also brought up. The conversation concluded with a mention of the surface area being the derivative of the volume and a reference to a math camp for children. The conversation also expressed frustration with understanding Wikipedia articles on the topic.
shintashi
I'm wondering how to scale up the surface area of a sphere of 6 million meters in radius, into a hypersphere of similar radius (i.e. a Hyper Earth). I would also like to know the ratio.

I would like to know the basic value in 4th dimension, but knowing values for 5th, 6th, and higher would be useful too. I attempted using something like pi^2*r^3 after badly integrating numbers that probably shouldn't be integrated, but then I got confused, because the units produced different surface areas. like if the unit is 1 Earth radius, then taking it to the 3rd, 4th, or 5th power doesn't change the output, and if the units are km, they produce a smaller change than if the units are meters, or nanometers. I got so lost on this issue that I decided to post here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia articles are Gibberish, not informative. from what I got out of that they imagined Pi from thin air and then applied it to S_n(R) = S_n R^n and n-sphere in (n + 1)-dimensional Euclidean... which from what I am reading says n = 4 since that's my happy dimension to start with, and 4+1 = 5.

now I stick 5 in the n place, and get
Surface area of a 6e6m radius sphere is 6e6^5, which is about 68 on a decibel scale, times 5, which is about 340, or 1e34 times s sub 4 which for some unknown reason in 3 dimensions becomes 4 so uhh.. 8pi*1e34?

Now you know that's not the answer.

So how about a more sincere reply to my question than "go to wikipedia" ?

shintashi said:
Wikipedia articles are Gibberish, not informative. from what I got out of that they imagined Pi from thin air and then applied it to S_n(R) = S_n R^n and n-sphere in (n + 1)-dimensional Euclidean... which from what I am reading says n = 4 since that's my happy dimension to start with, and 4+1 = 5.

It's gibberish if you don't understand it.

In reality, the Earth is a 3-ball (volume is 3 dimensional) and a 2-sphere (surface area is 2 dimensional).

shintashi said:
now I stick 5 in the n place, and get
Surface area of a 6e6m radius sphere is 6e6^5, which is about 68 on a decibel scale, times 5, which is about 340, or 1e34 times s sub 4 which for some unknown reason in 3 dimensions becomes 4 so uhh.. 8pi*1e34?

Now this is gibberish!

I think the surface area is always the derivative (wrt R) of the volume, and the volume of a 4-ball is π^2R^4/2, I believe. so the surface area of a 4 sphere is let's see: 2π^2R^3?? see my notes for the epsilon geometry camp for bright 9 year olds, last pages.

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/camp2011/10.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a hypersphere?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a hypersphere is A = 2πn/2 * rn-1, where n is the number of dimensions and r is the radius.

2. How is the surface area of a hypersphere different from a regular sphere?

The surface area of a hypersphere is calculated using the formula mentioned above, whereas the surface area of a regular sphere is calculated using A = 4πr2. Additionally, the surface area of a hypersphere increases exponentially with the number of dimensions, while the surface area of a regular sphere increases linearly with the radius.

3. Can the surface area of a hypersphere be negative?

No, the surface area of a hypersphere cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the total area of the surface of the hypersphere and therefore cannot have a negative value.

4. How is the surface area of a hypersphere related to its volume?

The surface area of a hypersphere is directly related to its volume. As the volume of the hypersphere increases, so does its surface area. This relationship is described by the formula A = 2πn/2 * rn-1, where n is the number of dimensions and r is the radius.

5. What real-life applications use the concept of surface area of a hypersphere?

The concept of surface area of a hypersphere is used in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used in the study of multidimensional spaces and shapes, as well as in the design of complex structures and systems such as antennas, satellite dishes, and computer graphics.