Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface gravity of Kerr black hole

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    I'm going through Kerr metric, and following the 'Relativist's toolkit' derivation of the surface gravity, I've come to a part that I don't understand.

Firstly, the metric is given by

##\mathrm{d}s^2=\left(\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta\omega^2-\frac{\rho^2\Delta}{\Sigma}\right)\mathrm{d}t^2-2\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta\omega \mathrm{d}\phi \mathrm{d}t+\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta \mathrm{d}\phi^2+\frac{\rho^2}{\Delta}\mathrm{d}r^2+\rho^2 \mathrm{d}\theta^2##

With

##\rho^2=r^2+a^2\cos^2\theta,\quad \Delta=r^2-2Mr+a^2,##
    ##\Sigma=(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta\sin^2\theta,\quad \omega=\frac{2Mar}{\Sigma}##

The Killing vector that is null at the event horizon is

##\chi^\mu=\partial_t+\Omega_H\partial_\phi##

where ##\Omega_H## is angular velocity at the horizon.

Now I got the same norm of the Killing vector

##\chi^\mu\chi_\mu=g_{\mu\nu}\chi^\mu\chi^\nu=\frac{\Sigma}{\rho^2}\sin^2\theta(\Omega_H-\omega)^2-\frac{\rho^2\Delta}{\Sigma}##

And now I should use this equation

##\nabla_\nu(-\chi^\mu\chi_\mu)=2\kappa\chi_\nu##

And I need to look at the horizon. Now, on the horizon ##\omega=\Omega_H## so my first term in the norm is zero, but, on the horizon ##\Delta=0## too, so how are they deriving that side, and how did they get

##\nabla_\nu(-\chi^\mu\chi_\mu)=\frac{\rho^2}{\Sigma}\nabla_\nu\Delta##

if the ##\Delta=0## on the horizon? Since ##\rho## and ##\Sigma## both depend on ##r##, and even if I evaluate them at ##r_+=M+\sqrt{M^2-a^2}## they don't cancel each other.

How do they get to the end result of ##\kappa##?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have to take the derivative of your expression for ##\chi^{\mu} \chi_{\mu}## before you plug in values for quantities at the horizon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook