Surface integral of F = <z,x,y> over z = x + y not matching divergence theorem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
brtgreen
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Compute surface integral. F = <z, x, y> f(x,y) = x + y, 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= 1.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Well this is what I tried:

<z, x, y > * < -fx, -fy, 1> = -z - x + y = -(x+y) - x + y = -2x
Then I integrated it using the bounds given and got -1.

But by the divergence theorem this should = 0. Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The divergence theorem requires the surface integral to be over the whole surface of the enclosed solid. You only did the top surface, which you did correctly. But what about the sides and bottom?
 
Oh ok I get what you're saying. But how am I supposed to know if they're asking for just the top or the whole enclosed surface?
 
brtgreen said:
Oh ok I get what you're saying. But how am I supposed to know if they're asking for just the top or the whole enclosed surface?

I guess you would have to just read the question carefully. And remember, the divergence theorem only applies in a situation where you have a surface enclosing a volume and it always requires the surface integral to be over the whole surface.

On the other hand, if your problem asked you to calculate the flux through the top face, you are done already.