1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral of half sphere

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to sort out surface integrals in my head, and have become more confused when attempting to calculate the surface integral of a hemisphere. I am getting confused about which values to use as boundaries.

2. Relevant equations

da=R^2 sinθdθdφ

3. The attempt at a solution

To get half a sphere I integrated dφ between 0 and 2pi, and integrated sinθdθ between 0 and pi/2.

This gives R^2*0*2pi=0

Whereas if I integrate dφ between 0 and pi, and integrate sinθdθ between 0 and pi i get

R^2*1*pi

which is the answer I am looking for but shouldn't I get the same using both sets of boundary values? Confused...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? Not if you integrate correctly! [itex]d\phi[/itex], integrated from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] is, of course, [itex]2\pi[/itex] and [itex]sin\theta d\theta[/itex] integrated from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] is [itex]-cos\theta[/itex] evaluated between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex]: -(0- (1))= 1, not 0. The half sphere area is [itex]2\pi R^2[/itex].

If, instead, you integrate [itex]d\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]sin\theta d\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] you get [itex]\pi[/itex] for the first integral and [itex]-cos(\theta)[/itex] evaluated from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], which is -(-1- (1))= 2 for the second, again getting [itex]2\pi R^2[/itex].

4. Dec 21, 2008 #3
    Oh right, I always forget that cos(0) isn't just 0. You would think I'd have learnt that by now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?