1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral of potential*electric field

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    could someone please explain why ∫(φE).dS (where φ is the potential and E is the electric field) is equal to zero in a general electrostatic case?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2
    Its not true in general.

Consider the case with a point charge q at the r=0 and let the surface be r=1.

We know that the potential on this surface will be constant so

[itex]\oint \phi \vec E \cdot dS = \phi \oint \vec E \cdot dS \sim \phi Q_{enclosed} \neq 0 [/itex]

If I may ask, what led you to the conclusion that it equals zero?

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    Maybe they mean the scalar magnetic potential, which is -of course- zero in an electrostatic field.

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the reply :)

This is from notes written by my lecturer, I was just trying to understand his reasoning...
    It was in the derivation of total electrostatic energy due to a finite charge distribution, where he went from this expression U=1/2∫ρ(r)φ(r)dV to this one U=1/2∫εE2dV by means of substituting: ∇.E=ρ/ε and E=-∇φ where at some point he mentioned ∫∇.(φE)dV = ∫(φE).dS=0 ....
    I can write up the derivation if you'd like.

6. Apr 10, 2013 #5
    No need. The trick is that he is assuming that the surface is out at infinity. The integral scales as Q^2/r and thus it goes to zero as r goes to infinity.

7. Apr 11, 2013 #6
    got it. thanks so much for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted