1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral of vector field

1. Jul 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find ∫E.dS, where E = (Ar^2, Br (sinθ),C cosρ), over the outside conical surface S, given by 1≤r≤2, θ=[itex]\pi[/itex]/3 (this is an open surface, excluding the end faces).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

from the context I believe ρ is the plane polar angle on the x-y plane, so the surface is a slanted ring with width 1 around the z axis.
    expressing S in vector v = ((√3 r cosρ)/2, (√3 r sinρ)/2, r/2), so ∫E.dS = ∫[itex]^{2pi}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] (Ar^2, (√3 Br)/2 ,C cosρ).((-√3 r cosρ)/4, (-√3 r sinρ)/4, 3r/4) drdρ, where I have taken the normal to the surface from outside to inside of the conical. Then, after the dot product each term in the integrand has a sine or cosine term, hence integrating ρ from 0 to 2pi will give zero.

the given answer is (7B pi)/2. where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2014 #2
    From the problem statement I would rather say (r, ##\theta##, ##\rho##) are spherical coordinates.

4. Jul 13, 2014 #3
    yes thats what I've used. using let θ=pi/3 I parameterise the surface in terms of ρ and r. did I make any mistake here?

5. Jul 13, 2014 #4
    The domain is right: 1<r<2 and 0<##\rho##<2 pi, but the vectors are expressed in the basis ##\{e_{r},e_{\theta},e_{\rho}\}##.
    The unit normal outside the surface is then very simple.
    Can you find dS in this basis?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  6. Jul 13, 2014 #5
    hmm I dont think I get it. partial differentiating v wrt r and ρ, then take the cross product of the 2, I got ((-√3 r cosρ)/4, (-√3 r sinρ)/4, 3r/4) , pointing into the ring. is this not the correct normal?

7. Jul 13, 2014 #6
    Ok, yes it is possible but way too complicate here. (E is expressed in the basis I mentioned above. You are expressing things in ##\{e_x,e_y,e_z\}## here so to take the dot product you would have to express E in ##\{e_x,e_y,e_z\}##)
    Keep things in shperical coordinates, it is much simpler here.
    Remember
    ##e_{r}##: unite vector in the direction of growing r
    ##e_{\theta}##: unite vector in the direction of growing ##\theta##
    ##e_{\rho}##: unite vector in the direction of growing ##\rho##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted