1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SURFACE INTEGRALS appying to z=f(x,y) x=f(y,z) and y=f(x,z)

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    You know when a definition is given in terms of z=f(x,y) like the surface integral

and its assmed to apply to y=f(x,z)and x=f(y,z) too ...

Why is this?

I know theyre just variables ...but since x y and z mean something specifically wrt the

coordinate system

Would it be trivial to say By Symmetry, x=f(y,z) and y=f(x,z) applies too ?

which way is better to think about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2
    Why would it matter? Labeling the axis x, y and z is your own choice, you can label them in any manner you want. Yes there is a convention but the labels we give are our own choice and the reason we choose a particular convention is so others would have an idea when they try to do the problem.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Note that it may not always be possible to express an equation z=f(x,y) as x=f(y,z) or y=f(x,z). That has something to do with the implicit function thereom.

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general a surface, being a two dimensional geometric object, can be written in terms of 2 parameters: [itex]\vec{r}= f(u,v)\vec{i}+ g(u,v)\vec{j}+ h(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex]
    or simply [itex]x= f(u,v)[/itex], [itex]y= g(u,v)[/itex], [itex]z= h(u,v)[/itex].

IF the surface is given as z= h(x,y), then you can use x and y themselves as "u" and "v": x= f(x,y)= x, y= g(x,y)= y, z= h(x,y).

IF it is possible to solve for y, say y= g(x, z), then you can use x and z as "u" and "v": x= f(x,z)= x, y= g(x,z), z= h(x,z)= z.

IF it is possible to solve for x, say x= f(y,z), then you can use y and z as "u" and "v":
    x= f(x,z), y= g(y,z)= y, z= h(y,z)= z.

But it is quite possible that NONE of those can be used. For example, with the surface of the unit sphere, none of x, y, or z can be written as a function of the other two. What you can do is use spherical coordinates with [itex]\rho[/itex] set to 1:
    [itex]x= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= cos(\phi)[/itex].

A good way to find the "differential of surface area" when given x= f(u,v), y= g(u,v), z= h(u,v) or, equivalently, [itex]\vec{r}= f(u,v)\vec{i}+ g(u,v)\vec{j}+ h(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] is to take the derivatives: [itex]\vec{r}_u= f_u\vec{i}+ g_u\vec{j}+ h_u\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_v= f_v\vec{i}+ g_v\vec{j}+ h_v\vec{k}[/itex] and then take their cross product. The differential of surface area is [itex]dS= ||\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v|| dudv[/itex].

Even simpler is the "vector differential of surface area" (calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, say): [itex]d\vec{S}= \vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v dudv[/itex]

For example, if you are given z= f(x,y) then [itex]\vec{r}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ f(x,y)\vec{k}[/itex] so [itex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}+ f_x\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y= \vec{j}+ f_y\vec{k}[/itex] so the cross product is [itex]f_x\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex] (or its negative, depending on orientation) and the length of that is
    [itex]\sqrt{f_x^2+ f_y^2+ 1}[/itex] so the differential of surface area is just the "usual" formula [itex]\sqrt{f_x^2+ f_y^2+ 1}dx dy[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?