1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integrals to derive area of sphere

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    Given a sphere [tex] x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2[/tex] how would I derive the surface area by using surface integrals?

The method I've tried is as follows: [tex]dA = sec\ \gamma \ dxdy[/tex] where gamma is the angle between the tangent plane at dA and the xy plane. [tex]sec \gamma = \frac{|\nabla \varphi|}{\partial \varphi /\partial z}[/tex][tex] = \frac{\sqrt{(2x)^2 + (2y)^2 + (2z)^2}}{2z}[/tex][tex] = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2 - y^2}}[/tex]

converting to polar coordinates and integrating the expression for [itex]sec \gamma[/itex][tex]\int^{a}_{0}\int^{2 \pi}_{0} \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 - r^2}} r \ drd \theta[/tex] and using substitution [itex] u = a^2 - r^2[/itex] yields [tex] -a \pi [2 \sqrt{a^2 - a^2} - 2 \sqrt{a^2 - 0}][/tex][tex] = 2 \pi a^2[/tex] Obviously the area of a sphere is [itex] 4 \pi a^2[/itex] so did I do the calculation wrong, or does this method only find the area of one hemisphere, in which case I should multiply the answer by 2?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you only did the top half of the sphere. It would be much easier using spherical coordinates where$$
    dS = a^2\sin\phi~ d\phi d\theta$$

4. May 26, 2014 #3
    Thanks, I thought as much. I know how to do it using the spherical polars, but I was just curious as to whether the surface integral method worked as well.

Every day's a school day. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted