1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integration of a Cone (Sloped Surface)

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given Parameterization:
    x = u cos [tex]\phi[/tex]
    y = sin [tex]\phi[/tex]
    z = u cot [tex]\Omega[/tex]

Find the sloping surface of a right cone with semi-angle [tex]\Omega[/tex] with a base radius of a.

2. Relevant equations

Surface area of a cone = [tex]\pi r\sqrt{r^2 + h^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Solid angle:
    [tex]\Omega = \int(r dS)/ (r^3)[/tex]

semi angle = (1/2) [tex]\Omega[/tex]

Cartesian Equation of a cone:

(x2 + y2) / (r / h)2 = z2

I understand the concepts of surface integration but I have not run across a problem where F was not given. I have a feeling that I am much more likely to run into this issue in the future and I would like to know what the process of determining F is.

Should I start by taking the div of the cartesian equation and then plugging in the given parameters (x,y,z) and integrating?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It doesn't make sense to tell us that "F" is not given, when you don't tell us what "F" is!

In any case, if [itex] x= u cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= u sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= u cot(\Omega), where u and [itex]\phi[/itex], and [itex]\Omega[/itex]is a constant, [itex]\vec{r}= u cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ u sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ u cot(\Omega)\vec{k}[/itex] so [itex]\vec{r}_u= cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ cot(\Omega)\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_\phi=- -u sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ u cos(\phi)\vec{j}[/itex] are tangent vectors to the surface in the direction of "coordinate lines". The "fundamental vector product" [itex]\vec{r}_u\times \vec{r}_\phi[/itex] is [itex]-ucos(\phi)cot(\Omega)\vec{i}- usin(\phi)cot(\Omega)\vec{j}+ u\vec{k}[/itex]. The "differential of surface area" is the length of that vector times [itex]du\d\phi[/itex]: [itex]u\sqrt{cot^2(\Omega)+ 1}dud\phi[/itex]

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    The "F" I was referring to is the function inside a double or triple integral when doing a surface integration

ie

[tex]\int\int\int F dV[/tex]

With your help I believe that I have come up with the answer, however I am having a little trouble showing that it is correct.

A = (2[tex]\Pi[/tex])(Slope Height) / 2

after my integration I end up with the following:

[ ([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2 ] (cot2[tex]\Omega[/tex] + 1).5

Which simplifies down to

[([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2] csc[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Can someone give me a push (or shove) in the right direction to prove this equals A from above?

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a volume integral, not a surface integral! The "F" you want to find the surface area, when dS is the differential of surface area is just "1":
    [tex]\int\int 1 dS= S[/tex].

[/quote]With your help I believe that I have come up with the answer, however I am having a little trouble showing that it is correct.

A = (2[tex]\Pi[/tex])(Slope Height) / 2

after my integration I end up with the following:

[ ([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2 ] (cot2[tex]\Omega[/tex] + 1).5

Which simplifies down to

[([tex]\Pi[/tex]a2)/2] csc[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Can someone give me a push (or shove) in the right direction to prove this equals A from above?[/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?