Surface level and surface integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of level curves and surfaces and the associated curve and surface integrals. The question is raised on how to extend the gradient's theorem to surface integrals. It is suggested that in 2D, the level curve is given by f(s(t))=k and the integral curves that cross it are given by ∇f·ds/dt=0. In 3D, the level surface is given by f(S(t,s))=k and it is proposed that the integral curves crossing it are given by ∇f·dS/dt=0 and ∇f·dS/ds=0.
Jhenrique
I have some questions, all associated. So, first, if a curve level is defined as:
[tex]f(x,y)=k[/tex]
or vectorially as:
[tex]f(c(t))=k[/tex]
and its curve integral associated as:
[tex]\bigtriangledown f(c(t))\cdot c'_{t}(t)=k[/tex]

Then, how is the equation of a surface integral associated to surface level:
[tex]f(x,y,z)=k[/tex]
[tex]f(S(t,s))=k[/tex]

Would be this?
[tex]\bigtriangledown f(S(t,s))\cdot (S'_{t}(t,s)\times S'_{s}(t,s))=k[/tex]

And more, all this above make I think if is possible to extend the gradient's theorem (that is specific to line integral):
[tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \bigtriangledown f\cdot \hat{t}\;ds=\Delta f[/tex]
to surface integral...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
I think I found the answer for my question. In 2D, we have a level curve given by the equation f(s(t))=k, and the integral curves that cross it is given by ∇f·ds/dt=0. In 3D, we have a level surface given by the equation f(S(t,s))=k, and the integral curves that cross this surface are probably given by two equations ∇f·dS/dt=0 and ∇f·dS/ds=0. Someone understood what I wanted say!?

What is the definition of surface level?

Surface level refers to the height or elevation of the surface of an object or area. It is typically measured from a reference point and can be represented as a continuous function on a 2-dimensional surface.

What is the purpose of a surface integral?

A surface integral is used to calculate the total flux or flow of a vector field through a surface. It has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

The main difference between a surface integral and a line integral is the dimensionality of the surface being integrated over. A surface integral is calculated over a 2-dimensional surface, while a line integral is calculated over a 1-dimensional curve.

How is the surface level represented mathematically?

The surface level can be represented mathematically as a function of two variables, typically denoted by the letters u and v. This function is known as a parametric equation and describes the position of points on the surface in terms of its parameters.

What are some real-world applications of surface level and surface integrals?

Surface level and surface integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the surface area of 3-dimensional objects, determining the flow of fluids in pipes and channels, and evaluating the flux of electric and magnetic fields. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3-dimensional objects and in geology to map the surface of the Earth.