Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Strength

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    What I'm trying to do is determine the surface strength of a material. I'm not sure if Barlow's formula would apply, as it's not a tube, but rather a flat surface. The pressure will be exerted on a particular spot on the flat surface. How can I calculate this?

For the record, I'm asking about aluminum foil, but I would like to know a general formula, if you will, for different materials.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I presume you're looking for the contact stress. The strength of the material is a material property.

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/labs/mda/dlib/ref/contact.html

CS

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Would this apply to pressure as well, instead of another object pushing on the material?

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

As in fluid pressure like a water jet?

CS

6. Feb 3, 2009 #5
    As in air pressure

7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Define what you mean by surface strength.

CS

8. Feb 3, 2009 #7
    How much pressure will it be able to take before it is broken.

Have you ever heard of a burst disk? This is a "valve" that will open at a certain amount of pressure. I'm trying to determine if there is any formula for calculating the pressure needed to open a burst disk. The material is not set, and neither is the diameter of the burst disk surface (which would be the surface I am trying to determine the strength of).

I've been searching and trying to figure this out for a while now, but everything I come across, just leads to a dead end.

I, sir, do apologize. I should have been more clear earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?