1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Strength

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    What I'm trying to do is determine the surface strength of a material. I'm not sure if Barlow's formula would apply, as it's not a tube, but rather a flat surface. The pressure will be exerted on a particular spot on the flat surface. How can I calculate this?

For the record, I'm asking about aluminum foil, but I would like to know a general formula, if you will, for different materials.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I presume you're looking for the contact stress. The strength of the material is a material property.

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/labs/mda/dlib/ref/contact.html

CS

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Would this apply to pressure as well, instead of another object pushing on the material?

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

As in fluid pressure like a water jet?

CS

6. Feb 3, 2009 #5
    As in air pressure

7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Define what you mean by surface strength.

CS

8. Feb 3, 2009 #7
    How much pressure will it be able to take before it is broken.

Have you ever heard of a burst disk? This is a "valve" that will open at a certain amount of pressure. I'm trying to determine if there is any formula for calculating the pressure needed to open a burst disk. The material is not set, and neither is the diameter of the burst disk surface (which would be the surface I am trying to determine the strength of).

I've been searching and trying to figure this out for a while now, but everything I come across, just leads to a dead end.

I, sir, do apologize. I should have been more clear earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?