Calculating Surface Strength for Aluminum Foil and Other Materials"

In summary: Burst disks are used in air pressure gauges to measure the air pressure. The pressure needed to burst it is the same pressure as the gauge can measure. I apologize for not being more specific.
Hubb
What I'm trying to do is determine the surface strength of a material. I'm not sure if Barlow's formula would apply, as it's not a tube, but rather a flat surface. The pressure will be exerted on a particular spot on the flat surface. How can I calculate this?

For the record, I'm asking about aluminum foil, but I would like to know a general formula, if you will, for different materials.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hubb said:
What I'm trying to do is determine the surface strength of a material. I'm not sure if Barlow's formula would apply, as it's not a tube, but rather a flat surface. The pressure will be exerted on a particular spot on the flat surface. How can I calculate this?

For the record, I'm asking about aluminum foil, but I would like to know a general formula, if you will, for different materials.

Thanks in advance

I presume you're looking for the contact stress. The strength of the material is a material property.

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/labs/mda/dlib/ref/contact.html

CS

Would this apply to pressure as well, instead of another object pushing on the material?

Hubb said:
Would this apply to pressure as well, instead of another object pushing on the material?

As in fluid pressure like a water jet?

CS

As in air pressure

Hubb said:
As in air pressure

Define what you mean by surface strength.

CS

How much pressure will it be able to take before it is broken.

Have you ever heard of a burst disk? This is a "valve" that will open at a certain amount of pressure. I'm trying to determine if there is any formula for calculating the pressure needed to open a burst disk. The material is not set, and neither is the diameter of the burst disk surface (which would be the surface I am trying to determine the strength of).

I've been searching and trying to figure this out for a while now, but everything I come across, just leads to a dead end.

I, sir, do apologize. I should have been more clear earlier.

1. What is surface strength?

Surface strength refers to the ability of a material's outermost layer to resist external forces and remain intact without breaking or deforming.

2. How is surface strength measured?

Surface strength is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a scratch tester or a tensile testing machine. These instruments apply controlled amounts of force to the surface of a material and measure how much force is needed to cause damage or deformation.

3. What factors affect surface strength?

Surface strength can be influenced by various factors, including the type of material, its composition, and its surface treatment or coating. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to chemicals or UV radiation can also impact surface strength.

4. Why is surface strength important?

Surface strength is important because it determines the durability and reliability of a material in various applications. For example, in industries such as automotive or aerospace, surface strength is crucial for ensuring the safety and performance of components under high stress and extreme conditions.

5. How can surface strength be improved?

Surface strength can be improved through various methods, such as selecting a stronger material, optimizing its composition, or applying a protective coating. Additionally, proper surface preparation and handling techniques can also contribute to enhancing surface strength.