Trying to make sense of the strength to weight ratio

In summary: There is no one easy formula to calculate the StW of an object made of a material. There are many factors that affect the StW of an object, including the material's properties (e.g. strength, density, stiffness), the dimensions of the object, and the way the object is used.In summary, the strength-to-weight ratio is the ratio between the strength of an object and the density of the object.
dmehling
I need some help with something that seems rather simple, but I don't know how to apply the formula. Let's say I have a table and based on the particular material from which it is constructed, it has a strength to weight ratio of 50 kN·m/kg. If I were to place an object on the table that weighed 50 kg, would I be able to use the strength to weight ratio to determine if the table is strong enough to support it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think so - but I am no expert.

The StW ratio of a table is highly dependent on the construction of the table.

A useful StW ratio will be figured under specific conditions. For example, a beam of dimensions l x w x d made of steel will have a different StW of a comparable beam made of balsa.

You can use that simple calculation to decide - in conjunction with engineering principles - to figure out how to make the table to support a given weight.

Is that value for the material or for the table?
Usually it is used as a material (and not object) property. I don't see how will be useful for an object.

Even though is sometimes called strength-to-weight ratio, the usual meaning is that of the ration between the strength (in Pa or N/m2) and density (kg/m3).
So it has nothing to do with the weight supported by an object made from this material.
It is useful when you need to design something as light as possible for a given load or strength.

For your question the strength will be all you need. I mean as material parameter. You need a lot of engineering experience (which I don't have). :)

There are several ways to measure "strength". Many materials are stronger in compression than in tension. So knowing how strong something is in tension may not help you design a table that has most of it's parts in compression. The design of the table may also put more load on some parts than others. You have to analyse the forces in each part and ensure each part is strong enough to handle it. Joints can be a weak point as they tend to concentrate forces.

I guess I misunderstood the concept. What I am really trying to find out is a way to calculate how much weight an object can support based on its size, thickness, and its constituent material. I have done countless web searches and I can't seem to find the right terminology or formula.

What is strength to weight ratio?

Strength to weight ratio is a measure of the strength or load bearing capacity of a material compared to its weight. It is typically calculated by dividing the material's strength by its weight.

Why is strength to weight ratio important?

Strength to weight ratio is important because it allows us to compare the performance and efficiency of different materials. It helps us determine which material is best suited for a particular application, taking into consideration both its strength and weight.

How is strength to weight ratio used in engineering?

Strength to weight ratio is widely used in engineering to select materials for structural design, such as in the aerospace and automotive industries. It is also used in the design of sports equipment, where low weight and high strength are important for performance.

What factors affect strength to weight ratio?

The strength to weight ratio of a material can be affected by various factors, including its composition, manufacturing process, and structural design. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and loading conditions can also impact the ratio.

How can strength to weight ratio be improved?

There are several ways to improve the strength to weight ratio of a material. These include using lighter or stronger materials, optimizing the material's design and structure, and using advanced manufacturing techniques. Research and development in materials science also plays a crucial role in improving the strength to weight ratio of existing materials.