Surface temperature of a radiated plate

In summary, the conversation discussed the surface temperature of a material when radiated from another material at a certain distance. Factors such as color, type of material, and radiation exchange between the two plates were mentioned. The question also asked for a mathematical formulation to determine the surface temperature, and the assumption of infinite plates was considered. The conversation also clarified that the hot plate remains at 120°C indefinitely and provided a specific example of the setup.
marco75
Hi,
I would like to know what is the surface temperature of a material when it is radiated from another material at a certain distance. In other words: I have a material at 120°C (aluminium) and another parallel plate of area A faced to the first one at 10cm of distance. What is the surface temperature of the faced material?
This problem is general, so all data (emissivity, room temperature, etc.) are free, I would like to have a conceptual response, my numerical data are only to example purposes.

Thank in advance

Science news on Phys.org
the surface temp would depend on at least its colour and type of material

if it was a darker colour then it would absorb more energy and get hotter
think of a white car to a black car in the summer sun

other factors would also come into play

Dave

Hi davenn,
many thanks for the answer. Yes, I understand what you say, but I would like to know a mathematical formulation, so we can suppose aluminium for both materials and choose some reflectivity, absorption and transmission values (I don't know if the correct analysis is obtained by means of the Kirchhoff law (thermal...)).

Marco

Is all of the radiation from each plate being exchanged between the 2 plates?

For smaller plates not so, as some radiation from each will bypass and not strike the other.
An assumption of infinite plates can be made, if the separation distance is much smaller than the area of the plates.

See
http://www.chem.mtu.edu/~fmorriso/cm310/heat_lecture_20.pdf

Is the 120 degree plate kept at that temperature indefinitely, or does it cool as it radiates its heat away?

Hi 256bits and Matterwave,
thank you for the answers. The hot plate remain at 120°C indefinitely and the assumption of infinite plates cannot be made, because we have the following schema: an heater at 120°C has a size of 14cm x 7cm (hot plate) is faced to another aluminium plate (same size) at a distance of 10cm.

Thanks again,
Marco

1. What is the purpose of measuring the surface temperature of a radiated plate?

The surface temperature of a radiated plate is often measured to understand the amount of heat being transferred from the plate to its surroundings. This information is important in various industries such as engineering and thermodynamics, where heat transfer is a crucial factor in the design and performance of systems.

2. How is the surface temperature of a radiated plate measured?

The surface temperature of a radiated plate can be measured using a variety of instruments such as thermocouples, infrared cameras, or contact thermometers. These instruments can provide accurate readings of the surface temperature without coming into direct contact with the plate.

3. What factors can affect the surface temperature of a radiated plate?

The surface temperature of a radiated plate can be affected by several factors, including the material of the plate, its size and shape, the temperature of its surroundings, and the intensity of the radiation being emitted. These factors can play a significant role in the amount of heat transfer occurring on the surface of the plate.

4. How does the surface temperature of a radiated plate impact its performance?

The surface temperature of a radiated plate can impact its performance in various ways. For example, if the plate is being used to transfer heat to its surroundings, a higher surface temperature can result in more efficient heat transfer. On the other hand, if the plate is being used to absorb heat, a lower surface temperature may be desired to prevent overheating.

5. What are some potential applications of measuring the surface temperature of a radiated plate?

Measuring the surface temperature of a radiated plate can have many applications, including in the design and optimization of heating and cooling systems, monitoring the performance of industrial processes, and studying the behavior of materials under different temperature conditions. It can also be used in research and development of new technologies that rely on heat transfer, such as solar panels or thermal insulation materials.