Surjective functions and partitions.

In summary, we discussed the set A of all functions from {1,2,3,4,5} to {1,2,3} and its subsets Ai for i=1,2,3. The size of A is 3^5, each subset Ai has a size of 2^5, and the intersection of Ai and Aj (where i<j) has a size of 1^5. A1\capA2\capA3 has a size of 0. We also looked at the number of surjective functions from {1,2,3,4,5} to {1,2,3} and found that it can be calculated using Stirling numbers
Stephen88
Let A be the set of all functions f:{1,2,3,4,5}->{1,2,3} and for i=1,2,3 let Ai denote a subset of the functions f:{1,2,3,4,5}->{1,2,3}\i.

i)What is the size of :
1). A,
2).the sizes of its subsets Ai,and
3).Ai[itex]\cap[/itex]Aj (i<j) also
4).A1[itex]\cap[/itex]A2[itex]\cap[/itex]A3.

ii)Find with justification the number of surjective functions f:{1,2,3,4,5}->{1,2,3}.

iii)Explain how each surjective function gives a 3-partiton of f:{1,2,3,4,5}

iv)How many 3-partitons of f:{1,2,3,4,5} are there altogethere?

Answers.
i)1).3^5...2).2^5 each 3).1^5 each...4).0
ii)We can use stirling numbers of the second kind to find this out S(5,3).
iii)Because the image of the function is made up of 3 elements?
iv)I don't know...I"m still thingking the same as for part ii)

Physics news on Phys.org
hey Stephen88 can you clarify how the Ai subsets are defined? its not exactly clear to me in the question

Is Aj the subset of functions that only map
[tex] f \in A_i \iff f:{1,2,3,4,5}->{1,2,3}\i [/tex]

so A_1 is given by
[tex] f \in A_1 \iff f:{1,2,3,4,5}->{2,3} [/tex]

If so
1,2,3,4 look ok

so a surjective function is onto, meaning it must map at least one x to each y

Last edited:
ii) have to admit I didn't know about Stirling Numbers but googling a Stirling number of the second kind is exactly the way to partition n (5) objects into k (3) non-emtpy subset, which makes sense. As I've not used them explicitly I would be careful to check how repetitions are counted...as an example the partition:
1 | 2 | 345
could be expressed as 6 = 3! different surjective functions

Another way that may work is to count functions that are not surjective and subtract from the total number of functions

iii) partition the initial set based on image element, you could show that this gives an equivalence class an so a partition

iv) consider the point on counting in ii)

Last edited:
Question number ii) shouldn't be too hard to do without deriving the stirling formula of the second kind.

Try counting all surjections from X -> Y where X has a cardinality 1 greater than Y ( ex. X: {1,2,3,4} , Y : {1,2,3} ). This case should help you generalize into the case where the size of X is 2 greater than Y ( ex. X:{1,2,3,4,5} Y : {1,2,3} ) Make sure you account for "overcounts"

1. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function is a type of function in mathematics that maps every element in the domain to an element in the range. In other words, every output in the range has at least one input in the domain that produces it. This is also known as an "onto" function.

2. How is a surjective function different from an injective function?

A surjective function is different from an injective function because a surjective function maps every element in the domain to an element in the range, while an injective function maps each element in the domain to a unique element in the range. In other words, a surjective function may have multiple inputs producing the same output, while an injective function does not.

3. What is a partition in relation to surjective functions?

A partition is a way of dividing a set into non-overlapping subsets. In the context of surjective functions, a partition refers to a way of dividing the range of the function into non-overlapping subsets, where each subset is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

4. Can a surjective function have an infinite number of inputs?

Yes, a surjective function can have an infinite number of inputs in the domain. This means that there is no limit to the number of elements that can be mapped to a given output in the range.

5. How are surjective functions used in real-world applications?

Surjective functions are used in many real-world applications, such as data encryption, data compression, and data storage. In these applications, surjective functions are used to map large sets of data onto smaller sets, while still maintaining the ability to retrieve the original data. They are also used in computer science and engineering for tasks such as error correction and signal processing.