Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbolic Expression for Speed of Draining a Tank

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    Hi, I've completed an experiment in which I measured the height of the water in the tank with time. I plotted my results on graph paper as a graph of height against time, resulting in a curve of decreasing gradient, slightly resembling that of the e^(-kx) graph.

1) I am asked to symbolically suggest an expression for the speed at which the water level falls.

2) Additionally I am asked to use a simple technique to determine the average discharge velocity, u(t), and head of water h(t).

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2
    Hi, welcome to PF!

1) Try solving the following differential equation, which is an unsteady state mass balance on the tank (works for rectangular or cylindrical tanks)
    [tex]A_b \frac{dh}{dt} = - A_o c \sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
    Where h is the height of water in the tank, Ab is the area of the tank and Ao is the area of the orifice from which the water drains, c is called the discharge coefficient (usually 0.62 for this kind of systems), and g is the acceleration of gravity. The discharge velocity in this case, according to Torricelli's law is [itex]u=c\sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

2) For this case I would just use the numeric data to calculate the arithmetic mean of u using Torricelli's law. It is not clear to me what does the problem ask with average head of water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook