1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric positive definite matrix

1. Jun 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a symmetric positive definite matrix, why does max{|aij|}=max{|aii|}

2. Relevant equations

|aij|≤(aii+ajj)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

max{|aij|}≤max{(aii+ajj)/2

max{|aij|}≤max{aii/2}+max{ajj/2}

max{|aij|}≤[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]max{aii}+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]max{ajj}

then I am stuck! :(
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try applying ##a_{ii} \leq |a_{ii}| \leq \max |a_{ii}|## to the original inequality.

4. Jun 30, 2013 #3
    But how does that help with the equality I need?

5. Jun 30, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume that the word "symmetric" is always present in the following. Remember that a positive-definite matrix is, by definition, one that renders the quadratic form
    [tex] Q(x) = x^T A x = \sum_i a_{ii} x_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i < j} a_{ij} x_i x_j [/tex]
    positive for all vectors ##x## that are not the zero vector. You are being asked to show that for a positive-definite matrix, the largest element occurs on the diagonal (in terms of magnitudes, that is). So, assume the contrary: that the largest element is not on the diagonal. By re-labelling if necessary we can assume that ##|a_{12}|## is the largest element. Now look at vectors of the form ##\tilde{x} = (x_1, x_2, 0, 0, \ldots,0)^T##, which give
    [tex] Q(\tilde{x}) = a_{11} x_1^2 + 2 a_{12} x_1 x_2 + a_{22}x_2^2.[/tex] Now try to show that if ##|a_{12}| > a_{11}## and ##|a_{12}| > a_{22}## then we can find ##(x_1,x_2) \neq (0,0)## that makes ##Q(\tilde{x}) < 0##.

6. Jun 30, 2013 #5
    By proving that it is not greater in that instance still doesn't prove they are equal, does it?

7. Jun 30, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am just trying to derive a contradiction by assuming an off-diagonal element is maximal.

8. Jun 30, 2013 #7
    I am trying to prove that max{|aij|} = max{|aii|}

Maybe I am going about it incorrectly and that is the problem. Where would you begin to try to prove these are equal?

9. Jun 30, 2013 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't do the problem for you. What do you get when you plug in the fact that ##a_{ii} \leq \max |a_{ii}|## into ##|a_{ij}| \leq (a_{ii} + a_{jj}) / 2##?

10. Jun 30, 2013 #9
    |aij|≤(aii +ajj)/2≤(max{aii} +ajj)/2 Is this what you mean?

So I shouldn't do the steps I did to get to? max{|aij|}≤[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]max{aii}+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]max{ajj}

11. Jul 1, 2013 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In fact, it should be ##\max |a_{ij}| \leq (\max |a_{ii}| + \max |a_{jj}|) / 2##.

What can you say about ##\max |a_{ii}|## and ##\max |a_{jj}|##?

12. Jul 1, 2013 #11
    Aren't they equal and I get that max{|aij|}≤max{aii}

13. Jul 1, 2013 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You dropped the absolute values on the right hand side. It should be ##\max |a_{ij}| \leq \max |a_{ii}|##. Can you see why this gives you the result you need?

14. Jul 1, 2013 #13
    That has been my question, how can I show/prove that they are equal?

15. Jul 1, 2013 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you can show the opposite inequality, that will suffice, right? In other words, is it true that
    $$\max |a_{ii}| \leq \max |a_{ij}|$$

16. Jul 1, 2013 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No need for absolute values on the right. If A is positive-definite we MUST have ##a_{ii} > 0## for all ##i##. If we weaken the assumption to positive-semidefinite, we still have ##a_{ii} \geq 0## for all ##i##.

17. Jul 1, 2013 #16

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True, good point. For this problem, it might be clearer to use the absolute values anyway, even if they are redundant for the diagonal elements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted