Symmetry Argument for Cylinder

In summary, for an infinitely long cylinder with cylindrical symmetry, the electric field can be simplified to just E and pulled out of the integral, as the magnitude and direction of the field remain constant. The ends of the integration surface can be ignored due to reflection symmetry, as the electric field is perpendicular to the surface and therefore cancels out.
PlatoDescartes

Homework Statement

I want to check my understanding of the symmetry arguments that allow for E to come out Gauss's Law and the symmetry arguments that allow for E vector *dA to become EdA. Specifically for an infinitely long cylinder.

Homework Equations

∫EdA=q/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

So, for an infinitely long cylinder, we know that the orientation does not change when translated or rotated about an axis. The E field also is perpendicular to the curved surface of the cylinder, and so there is cylindrical symmetry (obviously). We know that the E field always points in the same direction, so we can essentially 'get rid of' the vector. Next, we assume that the E field is the same magnitude at all points (constant) on the cylinder (there is nothing to suggest otherwise), we can pull it out of the integral, so the integral becomes E∫dA.
But why can the E field at the ends of the cylinder be ignored (which allows us to make all the previous assumptions)? Is it because they are in different directions, so they cancel out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Reflection symmetry.

Orodruin said:
Hint: Reflection symmetry.
I am sorry but I am a bit confused as to how to apply reflection symmetry as an argument...

PlatoDescartes said:

Homework Statement

I want to check my understanding of the symmetry arguments that allow for E to come out Gauss's Law and the symmetry arguments that allow for E vector *dA to become EdA. Specifically for an infinitely long cylinder.

Homework Equations

∫EdA=q/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

So, for an infinitely long cylinder, we know that the orientation does not change when translated or rotated about an axis. The E field also is perpendicular to the curved surface of the cylinder, and so there is cylindrical symmetry (obviously). We know that the E field always points in the same direction, so we can essentially 'get rid of' the vector. Next, we assume that the E field is the same magnitude at all points (constant) on the cylinder (there is nothing to suggest otherwise), we can pull it out of the integral, so the integral becomes E∫dA.
But why can the E field at the ends of the cylinder be ignored (which allows us to make all the previous assumptions)? Is it because they are in different directions, so they cancel out?

An infinitely long cylinder does not have ends.

Ray Vickson said:

That makes sense; it's just a bit odd to think about! Thank you.

Ray Vickson said:
Wait a minute here, the charged cylinder no. But he is talking about applying the divergence theorem to find the electric field. The cylinder you integrate over should be finite and have end caps.The OP is implicitly talking about two cylinders. The source and the integration surface.
PlatoDescartes said:
I am sorry but I am a bit confused as to how to apply reflection symmetry as an argument...
What happens to the field if you make a reflection in a plane perpendicular to the cylinder?

Orodruin said:
Wait a minute here, the charged cylinder no. But he is talking about applying the divergence theorem to find the electric field. The cylinder you integrate over should be finite and have end caps.The OP is implicitly talking about two cylinders. The source and the integration surface.
What happens to the field if you make a reflection in a plane perpendicular to the cylinder?

I agree that the integration surface is a finite cylinder, and if the OP is wise he/she will take its ends to be perpendicular to the cylindrical axis. That way, the electric field points along the integration surface at the end, and so ##\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A}## vanishes on the ends.

1. What is the Symmetry Argument for Cylinder?

The Symmetry Argument for Cylinder is a mathematical and scientific concept that states that a cylinder has an infinite number of symmetrical axes, making it a highly symmetrical three-dimensional shape. This argument is based on the idea that a cylinder has rotational symmetry around any of its axes, as well as reflectional symmetry across its central plane.

2. How is the Symmetry Argument used in science?

The Symmetry Argument is used in science to understand and analyze the properties and behavior of cylindrical objects. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to study different phenomena and make predictions based on the symmetrical properties of cylinders.

3. Can the Symmetry Argument be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the Symmetry Argument can be applied to other shapes such as spheres, cones, and cubes. However, the argument is most commonly used for the cylinder due to its unique and well-defined symmetrical properties.

4. What are some real-world examples of the Symmetry Argument for Cylinder?

Some real-world examples of the Symmetry Argument for Cylinder include the shape of a pencil, a can of soda, and a roll of paper towels. These objects all have rotational symmetry and reflect some of the properties of a perfect cylinder.

5. How does the Symmetry Argument for Cylinder affect the study of geometry?

The Symmetry Argument for Cylinder is an important concept in the study of geometry as it helps to define and understand the symmetrical properties of three-dimensional shapes. It also plays a crucial role in the study of higher-level mathematics, such as calculus and topology, where the concept of symmetry is essential in solving complex problems.