Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Synchronous Sources and Interference

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1

bgq

Hi,

What is the scientific definition of "synchronous sources" when we talk about the conditions of interference?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2
    Same Frequency and a Constant Phase relationship between them. ("Usually" the phase difference is assumed to be zero.)

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In English, we usually say "coherent" instead of "synchronous" in this context.

5. Nov 23, 2016 #4

bgq

Well, is this mean that "coherent" and "synchronous" are the same? Is it just a linguistic issue?

6. Nov 23, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where have you seen the term "synchronous sources" in the context of interference? I've never seen it, before this thread. "Coherent" is the standard term, in English-language textbooks etc.

I said "usually" in my previous post because I wanted to leave myself a loophole in case someone actually gave an example. :oldwink:

7. Nov 23, 2016 #6

bgq

Actually, I have completed two years general physics in university, I have learned that the sources should be coherent (talking about interference).

A student in the secondary school asked me about synchronous. In his textbook (translated from french), they say about the conditions of interference that the sources should be synchronous and coherent. I tried to understand the word "synchronous" literally, but I cannot find anything that makes a sense.

It seems from the examples in his textbook, that they mean by "synchronous" having same frequency. But I thing this doesn't make any sense because coherent sources have already same frequency; beside this, I cannot understand how the word "synchronous" could mean having same frequency.

8. Nov 23, 2016 #7

Ibix

Science Advisor

I've not heard the term either. But "coherent" could be describing each source as having a well defined frequency and a long coherence time individually, and "synchronous" adding that both coherent sources have the same frequency.

I guess, anyway. There certainly are linguistic oddities with translated physics.

The text ought to define its own terms somewhere. I take it there are no helpful index or glossary entries?

9. Nov 23, 2016 #8

bgq

OK, thank you all very much :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted