1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Synchronous Sources and Interference

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1

bgq

Hi,

What is the scientific definition of "synchronous sources" when we talk about the conditions of interference?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Same Frequency and a Constant Phase relationship between them. ("Usually" the phase difference is assumed to be zero.)

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In English, we usually say "coherent" instead of "synchronous" in this context.

5. Nov 23, 2016 #4

bgq

Well, is this mean that "coherent" and "synchronous" are the same? Is it just a linguistic issue?

6. Nov 23, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where have you seen the term "synchronous sources" in the context of interference? I've never seen it, before this thread. "Coherent" is the standard term, in English-language textbooks etc.

I said "usually" in my previous post because I wanted to leave myself a loophole in case someone actually gave an example. :oldwink:

7. Nov 23, 2016 #6

bgq

Actually, I have completed two years general physics in university, I have learned that the sources should be coherent (talking about interference).

A student in the secondary school asked me about synchronous. In his textbook (translated from french), they say about the conditions of interference that the sources should be synchronous and coherent. I tried to understand the word "synchronous" literally, but I cannot find anything that makes a sense.

It seems from the examples in his textbook, that they mean by "synchronous" having same frequency. But I thing this doesn't make any sense because coherent sources have already same frequency; beside this, I cannot understand how the word "synchronous" could mean having same frequency.

8. Nov 23, 2016 #7

Ibix

Science Advisor

I've not heard the term either. But "coherent" could be describing each source as having a well defined frequency and a long coherence time individually, and "synchronous" adding that both coherent sources have the same frequency.

I guess, anyway. There certainly are linguistic oddities with translated physics.

The text ought to define its own terms somewhere. I take it there are no helpful index or glossary entries?

9. Nov 23, 2016 #8

bgq

OK, thank you all very much :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted