1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of equations with 2 parameters

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a system of two equations:

3*x^2 - x + 3*y^2 = 0
    2*x^2 - y + 2*y^2 = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to express one with the other.I mean I can either have x = 3*y^2 + 3*x^2 or y = y = -2*y^2 - 2*x^2 and in both cases it becomes an utter mess.What can I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would modify the second equation to get x^2 = ... and therefore x = ... and use this in the first equation.

4. Jun 2, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's another suggestion. You can see by inspection that (0,0) is one intersection point. Since both equations represent circles, put them in standard form and locate their centers. Determine the slope ##m_1## of the line of centers. The slope of the common chord between their intersection points will be ##m_2=-\frac 1 {m_1}##. The line through the origin with that slope ##m_2## whose equation is ##y=m_2x## will pass through the other intersection point. Solve that with one of your circles. It works out pretty easily.

5. Jun 3, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One more suggestion: can you spot a multiplier that makes the quadratic terms in one equation the same as those in the other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted