System of ODEs - string-mass problem

In summary: For the left most particle I used Newton's second law to obtain the following:\begin{array}{l}m\mathop x\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - T - k\left( {x - l} \right) + k\left( {\left( {y - x} \right) - l} \right)& m\mathop y\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - k\left( {\left( {y - x} \right) - l} \right) + k\left( {\left( {3L - y} \right) - l} \right
Benny
Hi, can someone please help me do the following question?

Q. A light elastic string of length 3l is stretched between two fixed points a distance of 3L apart (3L > 3l), and two particles, each of mass m, are attached to the string, one at each of the two points of trisection, The system is set in motion so that the masses undergo small transverse oscillations.

If x an y are the displacements of the masses at time t, show that the equations of motion of the masses is

[tex]
\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\mathop x\limits^ \bullet } \\
{\mathop y\limits^ \bullet } \\
\end{array}} \right] = n^2 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{ - 2} & 1 \\
1 & { - 2} \\
\end{array}} \right]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]

where [tex]n^2 = \frac{T}{{mL}}[/tex] and T is the tension in the string.

I don't know whether x and y are 'absolute' positions or just displacements from some position. Previous questions of this type that I've attempted ask for x and y relative to one end or relative to some other points. The fact that the question doesn't specify this is a bit confusing.

But I'll assume that it is meant that x and y are positions of the two particles from the left hand end.

The question refers to a string and not a spring but I think that since the string is elastic, I can use Hookes Law. The two masses lie along the same horizontal line. I'll denote the position of the left most mass by x and the position of the other mass by y (so x < y).

For the left most particle I used Newton's second law to obtain the following:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
m\mathop x\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - T - k\left( {x - l} \right) + k\left( {\left( {y - x} \right) - l} \right) \\
m\mathop y\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - k\left( {\left( {y - x} \right) - l} \right) + k\left( {\left( {3L - y} \right) - l} \right) + T \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

where T = k(L-l)..not sure about the expression for T.

The above simplifies to

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
m\mathop x\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - T - 2kx + ky \\
m\mathop y\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = kx - 2ky + 3kL + T \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

which doesn't correspond to the given answer. I was having trouble resolving forces. Most of the questions I've done are spring mass systems where the spring constant is given. In this case only the tension is given and I introduced a spring constant myself. I'm at a loss as to how to tackle this question so can someone please help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi, can someone please help me do the following question?

Q. A light elastic string of length 3l is stretched between two fixed points a distance of 3L apart (3L > 3l), and two particles, each of mass m, are attached to the string, one at each of the two points of trisection, The system is set in motion so that the masses undergo small transverse oscillations.

If x an y are the displacements of the masses at time t, show that the equations of motion of the masses is

[tex]
\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\mathop x\limits^ \bullet } \\
{\mathop y\limits^ \bullet } \\
\end{array}} \right] = n^2 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{ - 2} & 1 \\
1 & { - 2} \\
\end{array}} \right]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]

where [tex]n^2 = \frac{T}{{mL}}[/tex] and T is the tension in the string.

I don't know whether x and y are 'absolute' positions or just displacements from some position.
I don't know what you mean by 'absolute' positions! Clearly x and y are displacements from some position; it doesn't matter from what position, it might be simplest to assume from the end of the string that the first mass is closest to.
Previous questions of this type that I've attempted ask for x and y relative to one end or relative to some other points. The fact that the question doesn't specify this is a bit confusing.

But I'll assume that it is meant that x and y are positions of the two particles from the left hand end.
Good!

The question refers to a string and not a spring but I think that since the string is elastic, I can use Hookes Law. The two masses lie along the same horizontal line. I'll denote the position of the left most mass by x and the position of the other mass by y (so x < y).

For the left most particle I used Newton's second law to obtain the following:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
m\mathop x\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - T - k\left( {x - l} \right) + k\left( {\left( {y - x} \right) - l} \right) \\
m\mathop y\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - k\left( {\left( {y - x} \right) - l} \right) + k\left( {\left( {3L - y} \right) - l} \right) + T \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

where T = k(L-l)..not sure about the expression for T.
No. T is not an external force. You can use T to find k. When the string, of natural length 3l, is stretched a distance 3L, the string is pulling with force T: T= k(3L- 3l) so k= T/(3(L- l)). If the masses are 3l
Now your equations are:
[tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= -\frac{T}{3(L- l)}(x- l)+ \frac{T}{3(L- l)}(y- x- l)[/tex]
and similarly for y.
The above simplifies to

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
m\mathop x\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = - T - 2kx + ky \\
m\mathop y\limits^{ \bullet \bullet } = kx - 2ky + 3kL + T \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

which doesn't correspond to the given answer. I was having trouble resolving forces. Most of the questions I've done are spring mass systems where the spring constant is given. In this case only the tension is given and I introduced a spring constant myself. I'm at a loss as to how to tackle this question so can someone please help? Thanks.

Thanks for the help but using k = T/(3L-3l) and then setting n^2 = T/(mL) doesn't appear to reduce the equations into the required form. For example, we should have x'' = -2n^2x + n^2y if the substitution n^2 = T/(mL) is used. I don't really see what I need to do. I thought about trying a change of variables but that is evidently something that the question suggests should not be needed.

1. What is a System of ODEs?

A System of ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations) is a set of equations that describe the relationship between one or more dependent variables and their derivatives with respect to an independent variable. These equations are used to model dynamic systems and predict their behavior over time.

2. What is the "string-mass problem"?

The "string-mass problem" is a classic physics problem that involves a string or rope with several masses attached to it. The goal is to determine the motion of the masses and the tension in the string as they move under the influence of gravity and other forces.

3. How are ODEs used to solve the string-mass problem?

ODEs are used to create a mathematical model of the string-mass problem. The motion of the masses is described by a set of ODEs that take into account the forces acting on them, such as gravity and tension in the string. These equations can then be solved using numerical methods to determine the position and velocity of each mass at a given time.

4. What are the applications of the string-mass problem?

The string-mass problem has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to understand the behavior of pendulums, springs, and other mechanical systems. It is also used in the design of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to predict their response to external forces.

5. What are some common challenges when solving a System of ODEs for the string-mass problem?

One of the main challenges when solving a System of ODEs for the string-mass problem is accurately modeling the forces acting on the masses. This requires a thorough understanding of the physical system and the ability to translate it into mathematical equations. Another challenge is choosing an appropriate numerical method to solve the equations, as some methods may be more accurate or efficient than others.