Need help deducing the region for this double integration problem

In summary, we are converting to a polar integral and integrating the function ##f(x, y)=\left[\ln \left(x^{2}+y^{2}\right)\right] / \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}## over the region ##1 \leq x^{2}+y^{2} \leq e##, which can be simplified to a rectangular region in the first quadrant with boundaries ##x=1## and ##x=\sqrt{e}## for ##x## and ##y=1## and ##y=\sqrt{e}## for ##y##. This can also be interpreted as the radial coordinate ##r## ranging from ##1##
JC2000
Homework Statement
Not sure how to use latex formatting for the question so I have moved it to the main body ....
Relevant Equations
\begin{array}{c}
1 \leq x^{2}+y^{2} \leq e \\
1 \leq x^{2} \leq e \quad 1 \leq y^{2} \leq e \\
1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{e} \quad 1 \leq y \leq \sqrt{e} \\
x=1 \\
x=\sqrt{e}
\end{array}

*Similarly for y which gives a rectangular region in the first quadrant.
Converting to a polar integral : Integrate ##\(f(x, y)=\) \(\left[\ln \left(x^{2}+y^{2}\right)\right] / \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}\)## over the region ##\(1 \leq x^{2}+y^{2} \leq e\)##

So,

\begin{array}{c}
1 \leq x^{2}+y^{2} \leq e \\
1 \leq x^{2} \leq e \quad 1 \leq y^{2} \leq e \\
1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{e} \quad 1 \leq y \leq \sqrt{e} \\
x=1 \\
x=\sqrt{e}
\end{array}

*Similarly for y which gives a rectangular region in the first quadrant.

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 9.54.27 PM.png

Is the above simplification the correct way to proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the shape described by ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##? And what about ##x^2 + y^2 =e##?

Likes JC2000
etotheipi said:
What is the shape described by ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##? And what about ##x^2 + y^2 =e##?
Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 10.05.51 PM.png

Oof! Didn't think of it that way, not sure why I made the inference that I did...
Although this must somehow be self-evident, I would appreciate it if you could walk me through the reasoning for it...

... I'm not sure that the equation of a circle needs further explanation.

PeroK said:
... I'm not sure that the equation of a circle needs further explanation.
I was referring to the interpretation of the inequality. I guess I simply misinterpreted the inequality and need to brush up on basic algebra !

JC2000 said:
I was referring to the interpretation of the inequality. I guess I simply misinterpreted the inequality and need to brush up on basic algebra !

Well the inequality ##1 \leq x^{2}+y^{2} \leq e## is really two inequalities: ##1 \leq x^2 + y^2## and ##x^2 + y^2 \leq e##. Perhaps more simply, you can say the radial coordinate ##r \in [1, \sqrt{e}]##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JC2000 and Delta2
Read this (assuming you'll have more questions to post on this site).

Likes JC2000
You can use inequalities in geogebra as well.
5c21e896d696f249635bd4d8635ea68d.png

Likes JC2000
JC2000 said:
Converting to a polar integral : Integrate ##\(f(x, y)=\) \(\left[\ln \left(x^{2}+y^{2}\right)\right] / \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}\)##
Is that supposed to be ##f(x, y)=\left[\ln \left(x^{2}+y^{2}\right)\right] / \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}## ?

Likes JC2000
haruspex said:
Is that supposed to be ##f(x, y)=\left[\ln \left(x^{2}+y^{2}\right)\right] / \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}## ?
Yes

1. What is double integration?

Double integration is a mathematical process used to find the volume under a surface in a 3-dimensional space. It involves performing two successive integrations, one after the other, to find the total volume.

2. How is double integration used in science?

Double integration is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve problems involving 3-dimensional objects and surfaces. It is particularly useful in calculating the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of an object.

3. What is the region in a double integration problem?

The region in a double integration problem refers to the area or volume over which the integration is being performed. It is usually defined by limits or boundaries and can be in 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional space.

4. How do you deduce the region for a double integration problem?

To deduce the region for a double integration problem, you need to carefully analyze the given problem and identify the limits or boundaries for the integration. This can be done by visualizing the problem and understanding the physical meaning of the given parameters.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in double integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid in double integration include incorrect identification of the region, incorrect setup of the integrals, and errors in the integration process. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the properties of double integration to avoid these mistakes.