1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of PDEs

1. Jan 2, 2004 #1
    I have two unknown function namely u(x,y) and v(x,y). These functions are part of two coupled partial differential equations. I realize that it will be almost impossible to get a general solution seeing as one on the PDEs is non-linear. But given a set of boundary conditions I wish to solve for these unknown functions numerically. I don’t quite know how to go about this though, so any help would be appreciated. The equations are attached to this thread

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2
    If I wanted to solve this numerically, I'd use a finite-timestep approach.

Remember:

[tex]\frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} \equiv \lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

So: just make sure that your timestep [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is small compared to the (expected) fluctuations in your solutions. In that case, you can re-write your equations in an iterative form (note that I used [itex]\Delta x=1[/itex]):

[tex] f(n+1) = {\rm some\; function\; of}\; f(n)[/tex]

which you can do for both of your functions. Now, you can start with your boundry values (for time [itex]n=0[/itex]) and generate the solutions for [itex]n>0[/itex] with a computer. Computationally intensive, but that should be no problem for your equations...

Succes!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  4. Jan 15, 2004 #3
    It looks to me as though this is a problem from complex analysis. Your second equation is the analyticity condition for a function of a complex variable. Perhaps the first equation is simply expressed in terms of that function.

dhris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?