Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of second order linear coupled pde with constant coefficient

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Someone know how to uncouple this system of pde?

Δu[itex]_{1}[/itex](x) + a u[itex]_{1}[/itex](x) + b u[itex]_{2}[/itex](x) =f(x)
    Δu[itex]_{2}[/itex](x) + c u[itex]_{1}[/itex](x) + d u[itex]_{2}[/itex](x) =g(x)

a,b,c,d are constant.

I would like to find a solution in one, two, three dimension, possibily in terms of Green function...someone could help me, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let

[tex]y_1 = u_1 + \lambda_1 u_2, \qquad y_2 = u_1 + \lambda_2 u_2[/tex]
    where [itex]\lambda_1, \lambda_2[/itex] are constants. For the right choice of constants, the equations will separate when written in terms of [itex]y_1, y_2[/itex].

[itex]\lambda_{1,2}[/itex] will have to solve a quadratic equation that involves a, b, c, d, hence generically you will get two roots.

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you refer to this as a "PDE" when you have only the single independent variable, x?

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    Thank you so much Ben Niehoff!

Sorry for the notation for the variable x, HallsofIvy, I intended it is a vector
    x[itex]\equiv[/itex](x,y,z)
    and
    Δ[itex]\equiv[/itex][itex]\partial_{xx}+\partial_{yy}+\partial_{zz}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook