1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systems of Homogeneous Linear Differential Equations

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I uploaded the problem statement please see attachment for original problem. The problem number is 4.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For clarity I uploaded what I have done please see the attachment with my work on it. I am not sure if I am doing it right or not. If I am doing the problem correctly am I finished or should I do more? Just so you know I am doing the part from where it says suppose we are given a system of differential equations to the part where it says then finding the corresponding eigenvectors V.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've got me confused! #4 on the page you give (there are NO "problems". This looks like a review sheet telling you what concepts you should review, not individual problems.) refers to [itex]y_1'= y_1+ 2y_2[/itex] and [itex]y_2'= 3y_1+ 2y_2[/itex] while your work sheet deals with [itex]y_1'= 5y_1+ 6y_2[/itex] and [itex]y_2'= 2y_1+ y_2[/itex].

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    I uploaded the incorrect thing sorry and I am confused as well but I can tell you I am not working the y1(prime) = y1+2y2 and y2(prime) = 3y1+2y2 part of it. I am trying to work out the general concepts listed. I am going to redo it and resubmit it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook