T-cyclic Operator - linear algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if U and T are linear operators on a T-cyclic vector space V, then UT=TU if and only if U=g(T) for some polynomial g(t). The conversation suggests using the fact that V is generated by v and choosing g(t) such that g(T)(v) = U(v). In one direction, it is shown that UT=TU is obvious if U = g(T). In the other direction, it is shown that for any x in V, g(T)(x) = U(x) and UT = TU can be assumed. The challenge is to come up with a plan for proving this direction.
redyelloworange

Homework Statement

Let T be a linear operator on a vector space V, and suppose that V is a T-cyclic subspace of itself. Prove that if U is a linear operator on V, then UT=TU if and only if U=g(T) for some polynomial g(t).

Homework Equations

They suggest supposing that V is generated by v.
and choose g(t) such that g(T)(v) = U(v).

The Attempt at a Solution

I could get some coherent stuff for one way..

=> assume U=g(T), prove UT=TU.

first, {v, T(v), T^2(v), ... , T^n-1(v)} is a basis of V (thus V is n-dimensional).
U=g(T)
let y=U(x) choosem g(t) such that y = g(T)(v).

then UT(x)=U(T(x)) = U(T(a_0v + a_1T(v)+...+a_n-1T^n-1(v)) = U(a_0T(v) + a_1T^2(v) + ... +a_n-1T^n(v))
= a_0UT(v) + a_1UT^2(v) + ... +a_n-1UT^n(v)

then TU(x)= T(U(x))

(where x is a linear comb of basis vectors, x=a_0v + a_1T(v)+...+a_n-1T^n-1(v))

thats as far as i got.. =(

<=

the other direction is more difficult for me.. I'm not really sure where to get the proper expression for g(t) from at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
if U = g(T), then UT = TU is obvious, you don't need to worry about v's or x's or anything, it has nothing to do with V being T-cyclic, you don't use the hint, etc. For the other direction, use the hint. Since V is T-cyclic, there does indeed exist some v such that v generates V. U(v) is an element of V, and since v generates V, U(v) is indeed equal to g(T)(v) for some polynomial g. Let g be this polynomial. Now just show that for any x in V, g(T)(x) = U(x). Remember that in this direction, you may assume UT = TU.

Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread, but I'm doing the same question.. I know we can assume UT = TU for one direction, but I can't make out what that's supposed to mean..
The two operators commute, so am I supposed to work something from the fact that they commute? ( some property that makes them commute..)

thank you

I tried a couple of promising things, but I'm just blindly stabbing at it . How would I go about coming up with a plan for this? I need to know something about UT = TU... :S

thanks

1. What is a T-cyclic operator?

A T-cyclic operator is a linear transformation on a vector space that is generated by a single vector. This means that the operator, when applied repeatedly to the chosen vector, can generate all other vectors in the vector space.

2. How is a T-cyclic operator represented?

A T-cyclic operator can be represented by a matrix, where the chosen vector is the first column of the matrix. The rest of the columns are generated by applying the operator to the chosen vector multiple times.

3. What is the T-cyclic subspace?

The T-cyclic subspace is the vector space spanned by the chosen vector and all vectors generated by applying the T-cyclic operator to the chosen vector multiple times. It is a subspace of the original vector space.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvalues and T-cyclic operators?

The eigenvalues of a T-cyclic operator are the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the operator's matrix representation. This means that the eigenvalues correspond to the factors of the first column of the matrix, which is the chosen vector.

5. Can any linear operator be a T-cyclic operator?

No, not all linear operators can be T-cyclic. A linear operator can only be T-cyclic if there exists a vector that can generate all other vectors in the vector space when repeatedly operated on by the linear operator.