Tail of an Almost Linear System

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for showing that a system is almost linear, using the definition of an almost linear system and Taylor's series. The conversation also touches on the topic of finding the "tail" of a system, which can be done by using the two-variable tangent plane formula.
EugP

Homework Statement

This isn't really homework help, I'm just trying to see if there is a "proper" way of doing this.

Given

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = x - y^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = x - 2y + x^2[/tex]

show that the system is almost linear.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x&y\end{array}\right)' = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\1&-2\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}x&y\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}-y^2&x^2\end{array}\right)[/tex],

where [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}-y^2&x^2\end{array}\right)[/tex],
is the tail.

I was taught that the way you get the tail, is just separate the parts that are not just [tex]x[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex]. But there has to be a better, or I should say correct way of finding the tail. Just separating the equation seems too simple. And besides, I tried this method for:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = (1 + x) \sin{y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 1 - x - \cos{y}[/tex]

And it didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, never despise a method because it is "too easy"!

Second, to "show that the system is almost linear" you need to show that the definition of "almost linear" is satisfied. What is that?

Third, to handle non-polynomial problems, use Taylor's series.
The Taylor's series for sin(y) is, as I am sure you know,
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^i y^{2i+1}}{(2i+1)!}[/tex]
and the Taylor's series for cos(y) is
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^i y^{2i)}{(2i)!}[/tex]
Use that to convert (1+x) sin(y) and 1- x- cos(y) to power series and separate the linear and non-linear parts just as you did above.

HallsofIvy said:
First, never despise a method because it is "too easy"!

Second, to "show that the system is almost linear" you need to show that the definition of "almost linear" is satisfied. What is that?

Third, to handle non-polynomial problems, use Taylor's series.
The Taylor's series for sin(y) is, as I am sure you know,
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^i y^{2i+1}}{(2i+1)!}[/tex]
and the Taylor's series for cos(y) is
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^i y^{2i)}{(2i)!}[/tex]
Use that to convert (1+x) sin(y) and 1- x- cos(y) to power series and separate the linear and non-linear parts just as you did above.

1) Heh, I don't despise "easy ways", it's just that I don't like to rely on tricks, without understanding the basis for them.

2) I know a few ways to show an ALS (almost linear system):

If the tail is [tex]g(x)[/tex],
then a system is ALS, if

[tex]\frac{||g(x)||}{r} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

as

[tex]r \rightarrow 0[/tex]

then it is ALS.

Or if each function is at least twice differentiable, it is an ALS.

3) THIS is what I was looking for. I KNEW there had to be a REAL method to finding the tail.

Thanks HallsofIvy!

EugP said:
1) Heh, I don't despise "easy ways", it's just that I don't like to rely on tricks, without understanding the basis for them.

2) I know a few ways to show an ALS (almost linear system):

If the tail is [tex]g(x)[/tex],
then a system is ALS, if

[tex]\frac{||g(x)||}{r} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

as

[tex]r \rightarrow 0[/tex]

then it is ALS.
Do you understand that this makes no sense at all since you have not said what "r" is with a function of x?

[/quote]Or if each function is at least twice differentiable, it is an ALS.[/quote]
Okay, now this makes it easy!

3) THIS is what I was looking for. I KNEW there had to be a REAL method to finding the tail.

Thanks HallsofIvy!
Don't you just love Taylor's series? The man's birthday should be national holiday!

HallsofIvy said:
Do you understand that this makes no sense at all since you have not said what "r" is with a function of x?

I didn't write what r is because I know what it is. But anyway, here it is:

[tex]r = ||x||[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Don't you just love Taylor's series? The man's birthday should be national holiday!

:smile:

Another quick question. I found this I think on some site:

[tex]F(x,y) = F(x_0,y_0) + F_x(x_0,y_0)(x - x_0) + F_y(x_0,y_0)(y - y_0) + \eta_1(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]G(x,y) = G(x_0,y_0) + G_x(x_0,y_0)(x - x_0) + G_y(x_0,y_0)(y - y_0) + \eta_2(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}F_x(x_0,y_0)&F_y(x_0,y_0)\\G_x(x_0,y_0)&F_y(x_0,y_0)\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}\eta_1(x,y)&\eta_2(x,y)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

So for my problem, letting

[tex]F(x,y) = \frac{dx}{dt} = x - y^2[/tex]

and

[tex]G(x,y) = \frac{dy}{dt} = x - 2y + x^2[/tex]

[tex]F_x = 1.....F_y = -2y[/tex]

[tex]G_x = 1 + 2x.....G_y = -2[/tex]

then:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y\\1 + 2x&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}\eta_1(x,y)&\eta_2(x,y)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

What I can't figure out is how to find the tail...

You have an error here:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y\\1 + 2x&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}\eta_1(x,y)&\eta_2(x,y)\end{ array}\right)[/tex]
You don't have the "derivative" matrix evaluated at [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]y_0[/itex].
It should be
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y_0\\1 + 2x_0&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}\eta_1(x,y)&\eta_2(x,y)\end{ array}\right)[/tex]

Use the "two variable" tangent plane formula you have to determine the "linear part" of the F and G at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex]. The tail is just the difference between F and its tangent plane formula and G and its tangent plane formula. In other words, multiply out those 2 matrices
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y_0\\1 + 2x_0&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and subtract from
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x- y^2\\x-2y+ x^2\end{array}\right)[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You have an error here:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y\\1 + 2x&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}\eta_1(x,y)&\eta_2(x,y)\end{ array}\right)[/tex]
You don't have the "derivative" matrix evaluated at [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]y_0[/itex].
It should be
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y_0\\1 + 2x_0&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{c}\eta_1(x,y)&\eta_2(x,y)\end{ array}\right)[/tex]

Use the "two variable" tangent plane formula you have to determine the "linear part" of the F and G at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex]. The tail is just the difference between F and its tangent plane formula and G and its tangent plane formula. In other words, multiply out those 2 matrices
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-2y_0\\1 + 2x_0&-2\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x - x_0&y - y_0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and subtract from
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x- y^2\\x-2y+ x^2\end{array}\right)[/itex]

Thank you so much! Eveything is crystal clear now!

1. What is an Almost Linear System?

An Almost Linear System is a mathematical model used to describe a phenomenon or process that exhibits near-linear behavior. It is a simplified version of a non-linear system, where the effects of non-linearity are negligible and can be ignored without significantly affecting the accuracy of the model.

2. How is the Tail of an Almost Linear System defined?

The Tail of an Almost Linear System refers to the behavior of the system beyond a certain threshold or point of interest. It can be defined as the region of the system where non-linear effects become significant and cannot be ignored.

3. What causes the Tail of an Almost Linear System?

The Tail of an Almost Linear System is caused by factors such as external disturbances, system parameters, and non-linearities in the system itself. These factors can disrupt the linearity of the system and result in unexpected behavior.

4. How do scientists study the Tail of an Almost Linear System?

Scientists use various analytical and computational methods to study the Tail of an Almost Linear System. These include mathematical modeling, simulation, and analysis of experimental data. They also use statistical tools to identify non-linearities and quantify their effects on the system.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the Tail of an Almost Linear System?

The study of the Tail of an Almost Linear System has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. It helps in understanding complex systems and predicting their behavior in real-world scenarios. It also enables scientists to design more accurate and efficient models for various applications.