Take Physics before Chemistry in College?

In summary, it is not necessary to have taken physics before taking chemistry if you have only minimal knowledge of chemistry. However, if you want to get a good understanding of the concepts, it is recommended to take physics first.
kizzyjr5
I hope this isn't a silly question...but i was wondering

Academically would it make sense to take Physics prior to Chemistry while having only minimal knowledge on either subject?
Do Physics rely on concepts from Chemistry?
Could i take Physics and do well without knowing Chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
kizzyjr5 said:
I hope this isn't a silly question...but i was wondering
Academically would it make sense to take Physics prior to Chemistry while having only minimal knowledge on either subject?
Do Physics rely on concepts from Chemistry?
Could i take Physics and do well without knowing Chemistry?

I am:biggrin:

Chemistry is based upon physics, not the other way around, so of course you don't have to study it first.

thank you both very much for your responses

You're quite welcome. Don't overlook the possibility of taking them both at the same time, but it might be a bit confusing because atoms tend to be thought of differently in the two fields. If you're trying to get the basics down, I'd go for the physics first. Since you didn't specify, I'm guessing that you're in early high-school or below.

I'll be senior (credit wise) next semester and I will take freshmen chemistry. I took physics every semester and neglected chemistry because chemistry was not a requirement for comp sci/engr. Now that I switched to electrical engineering, I have to take it. It will be an odd experience since I will take quantum mechanics at the same time. In short, it's okay to delay chemistry, but don't wait 'til junior/senior year. By then you might complain about how certain ideas are taught and most likely your school won't let you take physical chemistry as substitute (since you need analytical chem first).

Danger said:
You're quite welcome. Don't overlook the possibility of taking them both at the same time, but it might be a bit confusing because atoms tend to be thought of differently in the two fields. If you're trying to get the basics down, I'd go for the physics first. Since you didn't specify, I'm guessing that you're in early high-school or below.
I would concur with Danger - if possible, take both introductory physics and chemistry concurrently. Much of physics - e.g. statics and mechanics/dynamcis - is quite independent from basic chemistry, which is closer to atomic physics, so if they cannot be taken concurrently, take introductory physics first and chemistry concurrently with 2nd year physics.

A related question : My primary interest is Physics andd I wish to continue studying it after high school. Is it ok if don't take chemistry at all in high school? Will that lessen my chances of getting into a good university?

I wouldn't take them at the same time. I am now taking chem and i already took physics and I bet if i were taking them at the same time, I would have been so confused in chemistry.

I am taking Chemistry this semester with no physics classses, mostly because my math isn't up to par yet. At least once every couple classes, Physics is brought up.

I've taken both the intro classes years ago, I don't think it really matters much which you take first. Although, I'd get them out of the way before you start taking upper level classes (like 2000+ type courses) because it will still teach you the basics which you should know.

FAQ: Take Physics before Chemistry in College?

1. Why is it recommended to take Physics before Chemistry in college?

Taking Physics before Chemistry in college is recommended because it is considered a more fundamental and foundational science. Physics provides a strong understanding of basic scientific principles such as motion, energy, and forces, which are essential for understanding chemistry. Without a strong foundation in physics, it can be challenging to grasp the more complex concepts in chemistry.

2. Will taking Physics before Chemistry affect my college coursework or major choice?

No, taking Physics before Chemistry will not affect your college coursework or major choice. In fact, many colleges and universities require students to take physics before they can take advanced chemistry courses. It is also common for STEM majors to have overlapping coursework in physics and chemistry, so taking physics first can help you better understand the material in your chemistry courses.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to excel in Physics before Chemistry?

While having a strong math background can certainly be beneficial, it is not necessary to excel in Physics before Chemistry. Basic algebra skills are typically sufficient for introductory physics courses. However, as you progress to more advanced physics and chemistry courses, a strong foundation in math will become increasingly important.

4. Are there any disadvantages to taking Physics before Chemistry in college?

There are no inherent disadvantages to taking Physics before Chemistry in college. However, some students may find physics to be more challenging than chemistry due to the abstract and mathematical nature of the subject. Additionally, it may be more difficult to switch to a chemistry major if you have not taken introductory chemistry courses.

5. Can I take Chemistry before Physics in college?

While it is possible to take Chemistry before Physics in college, it is not recommended. As mentioned earlier, physics provides a more fundamental understanding of scientific principles that are essential for understanding chemistry. It is also common for chemistry courses to build upon concepts learned in physics. Therefore, taking physics first can set you up for success in your chemistry courses.