1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    Hey all!. :)

I am a freshmen and am wondering if it would be advisable to take Calculus w/ Analytical Geometry 1 and Linear Algebra concurrently (in the same smester). Though I have not taken Cal 1, 2, or 3 yet I remember when I learned (taught myself) Linear Algebra that there was no use of differentials, intergrals, or limits used. The hardest thing I remember in LA was probably trying to learn the proofs.

My class schedule:

Calculus w/ Analytical Geometry 1 (5 cr, M T W R F)
    Linear Algebra (3 cr, M T W R F)
    Intro. Sociology (3 cr)
    Gen. Ant (3 cr)

Total: 14 cr

Thanks,

Selig

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2011 #2
    Looks fine to me. Calculus and linear algebra have a tiny bit of overlap in my experience, but one isn't required for the other.

4. Dec 17, 2011 #3
    You should have no trouble with that setup.

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4
    I agree that you should not have any problems as long as you study adequately, and by this i mean study as you would normally for each class. I took Vector Calculus which is a continuation of Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry and Linear Algebra concurrently and found that it wasn’t too bad. The tedious part of Linear Algebra for me was theorems, as I had a professor whose tests were solely proofs. And keep in mind that I hardly study or attended lecture (which i’m not proud of and a habit I WILL break this quarter). If your professor gives problems, then imo it’s even easier. You’ll find that Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry isn’t too bad either. Without knowing you, i’m assuming that if you’ve completed the prerequisites to those classes, you’ll do just fine.

6. Dec 19, 2011 #5
    Hi,

Do you have any advice on what I should say to him? It require Calc 3, but I'm confident I can get his consent because I already know a good deal about LA. I was thinking I would just talk to him and show him my knowledge of LA. I don't know much about proofs though..suggestions?

Thanks,

S

7. Dec 19, 2011 #6
    Wait...calc 3 is a prerequisite for linear algebra? That's bizarre. Most sane people take linear algebra before or with multivariable calculus.

8. Dec 19, 2011 #7
    No worries he was chill about giving me a override form

9. Dec 19, 2011 #8
    In my linear algebra class, we studied integral transforms when we studied change of basis and also touched on ODEs a bit, although there was only a total of 1 question between those two subjects on the final exam and none on the midterms.

10. Dec 19, 2011 #9
    yeah, i just finished LA, and we had 2 inner product spaces questions on the final, and to solve those you have to integrate -- they were easy integrals, but still they were easy since i've had calc2 before. also, we did the wronskien method for determining linear independence/dependence of a function space on the homework, which required computing some derivatives.

11. Dec 20, 2011 #10
    I did that last year but I also took two electives so it was doable. It was hard work but I am an older student who knows what happens if you are not steve jobs and dont have a college degree. Last semester I took calc 3, diffy q, physics and statics. I felt like dying at times but I got all As and now know I can survive anything.

Go into it thinking failure(you get a B) is not an option and stay ahead as far as you can.

12. Dec 20, 2011 #11
    you're the man. keep up the good work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook