Taking Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester

In summary, Selig recommends that a freshman take Calculus with Analytical Geometry 1 and Linear Algebra concurrently, and warns that the proofs can be difficult. He also recommends that the student have a backup plan if things don't go as planned.
selig5560
Hey all!. :)

I am a freshmen and am wondering if it would be advisable to take Calculus w/ Analytical Geometry 1 and Linear Algebra concurrently (in the same smester). Though I have not taken Cal 1, 2, or 3 yet I remember when I learned (taught myself) Linear Algebra that there was no use of differentials, intergrals, or limits used. The hardest thing I remember in LA was probably trying to learn the proofs.

My class schedule:

Calculus w/ Analytical Geometry 1 (5 cr, M T W R F)
Linear Algebra (3 cr, M T W R F)
Intro. Sociology (3 cr)
Gen. Ant (3 cr)

Total: 14 cr

Thanks,

Selig

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Calculus and linear algebra have a tiny bit of overlap in my experience, but one isn't required for the other.

You should have no trouble with that setup.

I agree that you should not have any problems as long as you study adequately, and by this i mean study as you would normally for each class. I took Vector Calculus which is a continuation of Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry and Linear Algebra concurrently and found that it wasn’t too bad. The tedious part of Linear Algebra for me was theorems, as I had a professor whose tests were solely proofs. And keep in mind that I hardly study or attended lecture (which i’m not proud of and a habit I WILL break this quarter). If your professor gives problems, then imo it’s even easier. You’ll find that Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry isn’t too bad either. Without knowing you, i’m assuming that if you’ve completed the prerequisites to those classes, you’ll do just fine.

Hi,

Do you have any advice on what I should say to him? It require Calc 3, but I'm confident I can get his consent because I already know a good deal about LA. I was thinking I would just talk to him and show him my knowledge of LA. I don't know much about proofs though..suggestions?

Thanks,

S

selig5560 said:
Hi,

Do you have any advice on what I should say to him? It require Calc 3, but I'm confident I can get his consent because I already know a good deal about LA. I was thinking I would just talk to him and show him my knowledge of LA. I don't know much about proofs though..suggestions?

Thanks,

S

Wait...calc 3 is a prerequisite for linear algebra? That's bizarre. Most sane people take linear algebra before or with multivariable calculus.

No worries he was chill about giving me a override form

In my linear algebra class, we studied integral transforms when we studied change of basis and also touched on ODEs a bit, although there was only a total of 1 question between those two subjects on the final exam and none on the midterms.

yeah, i just finished LA, and we had 2 inner product spaces questions on the final, and to solve those you have to integrate -- they were easy integrals, but still they were easy since I've had calc2 before. also, we did the wronskien method for determining linear independence/dependence of a function space on the homework, which required computing some derivatives.

I did that last year but I also took two electives so it was doable. It was hard work but I am an older student who knows what happens if you are not steve jobs and don't have a college degree. Last semester I took calc 3, diffy q, physics and statics. I felt like dying at times but I got all As and now know I can survive anything.

Go into it thinking failure(you get a B) is not an option and stay ahead as far as you can.

Jackx said:
I did that last year but I also took two electives so it was doable. It was hard work but I am an older student who knows what happens if you are not steve jobs and don't have a college degree. Last semester I took calc 3, diffy q, physics and statics. I felt like dying at times but I got all As and now know I can survive anything.

Go into it thinking failure(you get a B) is not an option and stay ahead as far as you can.

you're the man. keep up the good work.

1. Can I take Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester?

Yes, it is possible to take Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester. However, it is important to consider your workload and time management skills before enrolling in both courses simultaneously.

2. Is it difficult to take both Calculus and Linear Algebra at the same time?

This can vary from person to person. Some students may find it challenging to balance the workload and concepts of both courses, while others may excel in this type of schedule. It is important to seek advice from your academic advisor before making a decision.

3. How will taking both Calculus and Linear Algebra benefit me?

Taking both Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester can provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. These courses are often required for majors in math, science, engineering, and other fields.

4. What is the best way to prepare for taking both Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester?

It is important to review the prerequisites for both courses and ensure that you have a good understanding of the material. It can also be helpful to review any notes or materials from previous math courses that may be relevant to the topics covered in Calculus and Linear Algebra.

5. Are there any tips for successfully taking both Calculus and Linear Algebra in the same semester?

It is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to attend all classes, complete assignments on time, and seek help from your professors or tutors if needed. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates or utilize online resources for additional practice and review.