Taking Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the Same Time

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to take both Calc 2 and Linear Algebra concurrently at a university, and whether universities typically waive the prerequisite requirement in this case. It is suggested that the decision should be based on the content covered in the Linear Algebra course and the instructor's opinion. It is also mentioned that having a strong understanding of Calc 2 may be helpful when taking Linear Algebra.
Mark Wolter
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. At my university, Calc 2 is a prerequisite to Linear Algebra. However, I have been told that it's totally doable to take both at the same time. What do you guys think? Do most universities wave this requirement if you take them concurrently? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. Almost nothing you learn in calc 2 applies to linear algebra. You might need to know separation of variables, but your teacher will prob teach that to you.

Mark Wolter said:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. At my university, Calc 2 is a prerequisite to Linear Algebra. However, I have been told that it's totally doable to take both at the same time. What do you guys think? Do most universities wave this requirement if you take them concurrently? Thanks!
It depends on what is covered in the Linear Algebra course. If the course covers inner products on function spaces, these are usually defined as integrals, which I assume is what will be covered in your Calc 2 course. Your university has Calc 2 as a prereq for a reason.

Mark Wolter said:

Told by who? The instructor of the Linear Algebra course? OK, then do it.

Someone else? The instructor of the Linear Algebra course is the one who knows most what background material the course requires.

Mark Wolter said:

You could do Calc 3 and Linear Algebra concurrently, you'll want to have the Calc 2 knowledge under your belt when doing Linear Algebra.

1. Is it difficult to take Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time?

It can be challenging to take both Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time as they are both advanced math courses. However, with proper time management and study habits, it is definitely doable.

2. Will taking both courses at the same time help me understand the material better?

Yes, taking both Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time can help you better understand the material as they often build upon each other. You may also see similarities and connections between the two subjects that can enhance your understanding.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking Calc 2 and Linear Algebra concurrently?

It is recommended that you have a strong foundation in algebra and precalculus before taking Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time. It is also helpful to have completed Calculus 1 beforehand.

4. Can I take Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time if I am not a math major?

Yes, you can take both courses at the same time even if you are not a math major. However, it is important to consider your workload and make sure you have enough time to dedicate to both courses.

5. What are the benefits of taking Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time?

Taking both Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the same time can save you time and allow you to complete both courses in one semester. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in many fields.